Let's Talk Instrumental Guitar Music......

What's Hot
dindudedindude Frets: 8540
Occasionally, when in the mood, I still like a bit of gratuitous guitar music. Problem is most of my reference points are from the late 80's and early 90's when I was far more in tune with that type of music, as well as it probably being a bit more of a golden age.

The stuff I used to listen to was Eric Johnson - Ah Va Musicom, Vai - passion and warfare, Satriani - Flying in a Blue Dream, Steve Morse - Southern Steel, Jeff Beck - Guitar Shop etc etc.

I have purchased instrumental guitar stuff in the past 20 years but most of it has been shit. Only the occasional Satriani and Jeff Beck album has hit anywhere near the mark from that original lot. 

Andy Timmons is an exception, really like Resolution, probably the most well rounded instrumental guitar album I've heard bar none, I.e. I can get most of the way through it without going mad. Also like Pete Thorns effort too, Guitar Nerd.

Don't really like anything tooooooo flash like Paul Gilbert etc, leaves me cold.

Anyway, what does it for you and what have I missed?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10469

Who was that guy with the Plaid guitar .... something like blues Sacarno or something he had some great instrumentals 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • I have all of Joe Satriani's back catalogue except Not of This Earth. 

Some other instrumental stuff I have... some Steve Vai, Vinnie Moore, Billy Sheehan, Neal Schon, Eric Johnson, and I think that'd be about it to be honest.

Seen Joe Satriani a couple of times live. And Vai. I went to his masterclass one time. I used to listen to instrumental music a lot more than I do now. But hey. 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3094
    I still loves it. Mattius Eklundh and Paul Gilbert as well as all those mentioned above. I think Passion and Warfare is the ultimate instrumental guitar album imo.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    The one that really works for me as an album is Allan Holdsworth's Hard Hat Area from 1994. Honourable mention to 220 by Phil Keaggy from the late 90s, it's great but a little bit patchier.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited January 2015
    Mike Oldfield "Guitars". Interesting album as all the sounds are from guitars, nothing else. (Not really shreddy or flashy though)
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    You should check out the Steve Rothery solo album that came out last year. Really tasteful playing. "the ghosts of Pripyat"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I reckon Jeff Beck's 'Jeff' album is his best instrumental album. A bit more electronic than his other albums but some really good tracks on there.
  • Do you have Shawn Lane - Powers of Ten?
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    edited January 2015
    I reckon Jeff Beck's 'Jeff' album is his best instrumental album. A bit more electronic than his other albums but some really good tracks on there.
    Yeah, 'tis good, I was listening to "Seasons" just earlier, the guitar playing on that track is mind blowing, just beautiful.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    You should check out the Steve Rothery solo album that came out last year. Really tasteful playing. "the ghosts of Pripyat"
    Cool, may give that a try....
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1270
    edited January 2015

Haha! I'm listening to this as I type

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N2tdZi-O0M&index=3&list=PL8E8B84F6F4915064

Seasons is next.

:)
    dindude said:
    I reckon Jeff Beck's 'Jeff' album is his best instrumental album. A bit more electronic than his other albums but some really good tracks on there.
    Yeah, 'tis good, I was listening to "Seasons" just earlier, the guitar playing on that track is mind blowing, just beautiful.

• I forgot I got Paul Gilbert's "Get Out of My Yard" for Christmas. That's pretty good. 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17687
    tFB Trader
    Aristocrats?
  • vizviz Frets: 10732
    Al di Meola and Greg Howe were a really huge find for me and have kept me going for many years after I'd exhausted the Vai back catalogue. And my playing, which I had channeled more and more towards Vai's style, took a welcome fresh turn. I'm on the hunt for my next new stalkee too - perhaps Holdsworth is the one.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4329

If it doesn't have to be electric, check these out...

Michael Hedges - Aerial Boundaries

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaIN13aDbCc

Michael Hedges - Bensusan (Petteri Sariola cover)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFr7rixSjFA

Antoine Dufour - To Run in a Dream

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f_nQd-omVA

Antointe Dufour - These Moments

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQlyHbu0zz4

Erik Mongrain - Verso

www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVFdo2eRKFs

Erik Mongrain - Airtap

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YCntZrqlgY

Calum Graham - Tabula Rasa

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXJ5fgadB2k

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24851
    dindude;480135" said:
    not_the_dj said:

Cool, may give that a try....
    And my mate Dave Foster plays on it - he's a cool player.
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    My favourite Beck albums remain "Blow by Blow" (because of the emphasis on tunes and the all-round sharp focus that George Martin provided). 

Also "Who Else?" because it's got some good tunes and it's something of an encyclopaedia of Beck's style and modern rock playing in general. 

When it comes to music I just like a good, memorable tune. I never listened to guitar albums at all when I was a kid although I was playing guitar, so I've caught up on a lot of stuff more recently thanks to Spotify. 

I have to be honest and say that I can't listen to a whole album of anyone's guitar instrumentals all the way through. I tend to cherry pick the stuff that appeals to me. I think at their best the famous instrumentalists like Vai and Satriani are really talented tunesmiths as well as great players, but I really have to be in the mood to listen to a record they've done all the way through and my attention wanders quickly. 

For my personal tastes I've found a lot of acoustic instrumentalists make music I find more satisfying in this respect. Pierre Bensusan has always been favourite, and lately I've enjoyed Bert Jansch's all-acoustic album "Avocet", which I'd highly recommend. 

• Anyone like Animals as Leaders? Check them out if more prog-metal instrumental is your thing.
    May not be to everyone's taste, but they're one of the few instrumental bands interesting enough to hold my attention for extended periods!

Biyang & Caline pedals plus other inexpensive gear:

SpartanMusic.co.uk

• Would thoroughly recommend Three Trapped Tigers too for something different. Or Maybeshewill, who are lovely chaps.
  • stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5420
    edited January 2015
    I used to listen to a lot of Satriani etc… now I prefer this sort of thing: 
    Rodrigo y Gabriela