I'm in love with a Plexi

What's Hot
thisisguitarthisisguitar Frets: 1073
Finished my teaching earlier and cranked my Cornell 45/50 Plexi (Courtesy of @Pete24v)…

I can't believe I've waited all these years to get one. It's sublime with my CS Strat and my CS LP… Tomorrow night I will start experimenting with a pedalboard layout to work with my Twin and the Plexi, no neighbours to annoy so I'll be at gig volume :-)

Must remember to put some earplugs in though… even 15w is very very loud!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Pete24vPete24v Frets: 235
    They are amazing amps, if loud! I know i'll miss it at my next rock gig :-( 

It loves overdrives and boosts, the last gig i did with it i only used a Koko Boost.. It was singing!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Great that you are loving the amp.
    I love it when a new piece of gear brings that kind of joy.
    I've just bought a plexi reissue - picking it up Saturday. Very excited.

Nice GAS mate!
  • I'll have to try a Koko Boost next then @Pete24v. Waiting to get my TS-9 back first, my mate has borrowed it for a recording session.

@MatthewShreddery - Cheers dude. That's sounds ace, which one are you getting?

• @thisisguitar - 1987x. It's a 50 watter and apparently extremely loud.
    Just started a classic rock covers band so I'm thinking a plexi is appropriate :-)
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3597
    I have an original 50w Plexi from 1968 and I've had it 35 years yet it still makes me smile when I plug into it, I just can't help it it's that bloody good.

Enjoy.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @MatthewShreddery - Very nice, they are loud.. but oh so good. If you are playing gigs where they are miking up drums you'll probably be okay. I reckon the 15w switch on mine helps it lose about 3-4db, should check with a sound level meter actually. Otherwise I'm going to throw a blanket over the cab :-)

@ESBlonde - I can imagine that sounds fabulous. I can't help but play the intro 'Black Shuck' every time I plug it in :-)
  • benvallbenvall Frets: 83
    That Cornell looks lovely. I saw it when Pete was advertising it I was scrabbling around trying to find stuff I could sell. I really want a plexi.

How are you planning on using it, any pedals or flat out with the attenuator? I just worry that I like a touch more gain than a plexi can offer
  • Sorry for pipping you there @benvall

I'm waiting on getting a few of my pedals back so I can work out which sound best with it. I think running the amp on somewhere between 6 and 8 in 15w with a TS-9 will do it. Have a few other gain pedals to try with it yet though.
    No worries. I've got loads of low value bits I need to shift. It's gonna take me some time to get some money together so I was never really in a position to buy.

I've just got a old plexitone (3 button one) I love it. But I'd feel a bit odd running it in front of a plexi amp.

What's the max gain level are you going for?
  • Fair play, they aren't cheap. I'm a musician for a living, so I can justify my frankly ridiculous habit!

Does sound like plexi overload, lol. I predominantly play a single coil strat, so I rarely go to metal levels of gain. I have a Kingsley Jouster, TS-9, Fulldrive 3 plus a Cornish P-1, G-2 and CC-1. So I'm pretty sure I've got more than enough gain options.
    Nice. I play 2 to 3 gigs a month in a covers band. I spend a bit of the cash on gear. The rest on holidays etc. gotta save up and sell some of my old junk then a plexi or plexi-style amp is on my list.
    Oh, and let me know what od you prefer. I'd be interested to know. I hope it's the TS9. I can't justify any Cornish stuff.
  • It might be worth checking out the 18/20. Honestly the 15w mode is going to be loud enough for the festival gigs we play. I'll try and remember to pop something on here after I have a play around. Was hoping to try some today, but my ears took a battering at a few of the pubs we went to last night, and I want to give the amp a blast without earplugs in just to make sure the sound is right. 
  • @thisisguitar
    I bought the 1987x plexi reissue yesterday and oh my goodness it's a beast.
    I too have never owned or played a plexi before and am wondering why it took so long to get one.

Can't wait to crank it up in the rehearsal space (got some new ACS ear defenders too luckily! ;) )
    Looking forward to hearing some clips of yours.
  • @MatthewShreddery ;

Fantastic mate! It's just the sound of rock :-) 

I'm looking forward to unleashing mine at our first festival gig in May. Can't wait.

There's already some clips up for the Cornell, although not by me. I'm in temporary accommodation so haven't set up any of my recording gear.
    thisisguitar;483137" said:
    It might be worth checking out the 18/20. Honestly the 15w mode is going to be loud enough for the festival gigs we play. I'll try and remember to pop something on here after I have a play around. Was hoping to try some today, but my ears took a battering at a few of the pubs we went to last night, and I want to give the amp a blast without earplugs in just to make sure the sound is right. 
    I'm not sure about 18/20. I had an 18 watt TMB with master volume. It was a nice amp but I don't think the EL84's were really cutting it. It's gotta be 34's or KT's in my book.
  • Fair play, I've heard that response a few times. I haven't tried one. Tried one of the Marshall 18w HW combos, the single speaker, it was alright… but nothing more.