can anyone recommend a keyboard/electric piano upto about 750 quid?

I've a mate who wants to start playing, and has a fair wedge to spend, but doesn't really know what's what.

I think his priority would be having something thats nice to play, above something that has loads of fiddly functions.

Any suggestions?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• How about an electric piano, liked to a DAW with fun VSTis
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    Any of the Yamaha P Series. Dunno what number we're on now but it will be in your price range. I like the keyboard weighting more than anything else I've played. Can't go wrong with a Yammy.
  • vizviz Frets: 10694
    We got a roland u220 or something. Cost a grand. A really great, nicely weighted electric piano with fantastic sound quality. Virtually no features, about 16 different sounds (3 pianos, harpsichord, a few organs), and various tunings and tempers. It's GREAT for that.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26994
    Any of the Yamaha P Series. Dunno what number we're on now but it will be in your price range. I like the keyboard weighting more than anything else I've played. Can't go wrong with a Yammy.
    This. I have a P85 (i think) I got a year ago for 2 hundred and something. It's not perfect soundwise but it's absolutely fine and to get better sounds you have to start spending silly money. The newer P series will be a bit better than mine for a bit more money. 

They feel like a real piano, which is very important if he's serious, far more than sound quality.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • wordywordy Frets: 67

thanks chaps - I'll pass that on.

Yeah the Rolands are lovely, but pricey.

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Look second hand. Prices drop a lot faster than guitars. Yamaha clavinovas are excellent.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    edited October 2013
    This. I have a P85 (i think) I got a year ago for 2 hundred and something. It's not perfect soundwise but it's absolutely fine and to get better sounds you have to start spending silly money. The newer P series will be a bit better than mine for a bit more money. 

They feel like a real piano, which is very important if he's serious, far more than sound quality.
    agree with that. Ages ago I had one of the very first ones - I don't remember the exact model number - it weighed a ton, sounded shit apart from the Rhodes sound, which was OK (but had MIDI so more or less irrelevant), and had by far the best feel of any electric piano I've ever played. If I was actually any good as a piano player I wouldn't have sold it...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549

Clavinovas are great 'n'all but they are more expensive than the standard digi pianos because they are loaded with features. As a pure push-key-make-noise device they aren't any better than the basic P series.

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Yamaha. Secondhand. Brilliant VFM.