This looks interesting - groove tubes amp?

Didn't realise they made any.

Anyone know anything about this curio?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Music Inn in Nottingham have a few old GT preamps but never tried them. Loads of money but look great. Must plug em in one day. 
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1818
    edited January 2015
    That amp has been advertised a few times and I think the guy is having a hard time selling due to its rarity and lack of info out there..

I think its the Stage Series 50 and seems to be a prototype thing that never kicked off and if its the one thats been around a bit there should be an email with it from AP himself talking about the rarity.....

might be a different one, but the chance of 2 of these things being around is pretty slim I reckon..
  • Bloomin' ugly thing, but I'm intrigued, I must admit. 

I've found some other eBay gems, too.  There is a really beautiful WEM dominator, and a Rivera TBR-1.  

WHICH LOOKS AWESOME.  Where is all my money?!
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1818
    edited January 2015
    and LOL, here's an ad for it..

I had a TBR, weighed a ton, great sounding rackmount beast
  • welshboyo said:
    and LOL, here's an ad for it..

I had a TBR, weighed a ton, great sounding rackmount beast
    I really want one, but from what I've heard of this legendary amp, it might actually just fall through my floor. 
  • woodywoody Frets: 74
    Ive got one of the groove tube trio preamps..clean and mean channels are stunners..scream doesnt float my boat much..very compressed and middly..
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10489
    woody said:
    Ive got one of the groove tube trio preamps..clean and mean channels are stunners..scream doesnt float my boat much..very compressed and middly..
    I remember an ad in Guitarist magazine donkeys years ago where Billy Gibbons was singing the praises of the GT pre amps
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2751
    I added that one to the watch list this afternoon.   I'm half looking out for the GT pre and it popped up.  It'll be interesting to see what it goes for - I saw a GT combo go quite cheaply (around 250 iirc) in the summer and wish I'd bought it.

Steve Rothery uses the GT trio and has a few of them in his rack.
  • Used to have a trio (ex tears for fears I believe!) and yep, the clean and mean we're cool.. Two outta three etc.... Iirc it was Aspen pittman's company....
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • Lol Woody.... Just realised who you are?, All goof I hope pal!
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16303
    For some reason the company that distributed GT in the UK at one point set up a customer relations/ boutique appointment only type shop in Wolverhampton. Why they thought Wolverhampton was the epicentre of the UK guitar world I don't know.
    I remember this because it was an unusual thing and that it was about 2 miles from my house. Of course all a long time ago and I have a wonky memory at best. However, quick Google brings up Groove Tubes UK in Wolverhampton ( complete with an 0902 number - the code changed to 01902 in 1995 ).
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • woodywoody Frets: 74
    Hey aidan, yeah we both owned same mk1 trio...actually think the scream channel was better on the mk1.
  • I've got a STP-G amp that I resurrected last year and took it to the Southern Gearfest. As its essentially a Hot rodded Fender Deluxe with cab emulation, it's got pretty nice cleans. I havent got around to recording with it yet, even though thats it primary purpose.I'm currently making a head shell for it together with the (now finished) cab.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb102/flanging_fred/Music/my amps/20B23CCB-5016-4A55-8DAA-5A7F821A6C77_zpse415yd30.jpg
  • I used to own a combo that was based on the Trio preamp and had been built for GT by Red Rhodes. Incredible sounding beast but weighed approx 14 tons. Sold it to a guy in the USA.
  • I have one and I am going to put it up for sale here in classified - mine is flight cased with a detachable front and back... its a lovely amp - we used it for guitar and have used it for bass great effect..  but Im slowly thinning things down - too much kit.. its starting to own me... hahaha

• NB this is the STP-G amp - the same as Flanging Freds above..