Can anyone with a Bogner Goldfinger 45/90.....

NerineNerine Frets: 2234
Tell me whether you are able to use a standalone boost pedal in the fx loop to get a good volume boost for solos.

Thanks.

PS. I'm aware of the features of the amp and its various loops and boost options.

I specifically want to know if the classic pedal in the loop trick works on this amp.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3443
    edited January 2015
    I used to own one but it broke within a week ;) I don't own it any more.

However, I'm sure you could use a boost in the loop for solos, probably better on the post loop, if you're running the preamp hard. While mine worked I was using the built in boost and it worked ok, but I also ran a clean boost in front quite successfully but using the amp just slightly crunchy.

Don't buy the combo, it has a design flaw and rattles like a rattle thing.
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2234
    Funnily enough, I had a Goldfinger previously and it broke about 3 hours after I got it home.

The presence control on the clean channel lunched itself.

Also, the chassis in those amps is pretty appalling. It's like an open ended piece of tin guttering.

I also had a Barcelona that had to go back as well because the cabinet rattled like hell.

My Shiva crapped an output tranny.

And my 101B also didn't seem particularly solid. When I got it home (bought it new from the shop) I noticed a switch had been snapped on the back and the tube rattle was monumental.

The Shiva combo I had also ran hotter than the face of the sun.

I can't say Bogner amps have been particularly reliable. For me at least.

The Shiva 80w head I had the longest.

The rest I only had for about a week at most!! Sometimes it was a day or two before they had to go back.
  • Nerine said:
    Funnily enough, I had a Goldfinger previously and it broke about 3 hours after I got it home.

The presence control on the clean channel lunched itself.

Also, the chassis in those amps is pretty appalling. It's like an open ended piece of tin guttering.

I also had a Barcelona that had to go back as well because the cabinet rattled like hell.

My Shiva crapped an output tranny.

And my 101B also didn't seem particularly solid. When I got it home (bought it new from the shop) I noticed a switch had been snapped on the back and the tube rattle was monumental.

The Shiva combo I had also ran hotter than the face of the sun.

I can't say Bogner amps have been particularly reliable. For me at least.

The Shiva 80w head I had the longest.

The rest I only had for about a week at most!! Sometimes it was a day or two before they had to go back.
    Interesting! My mate had an Uberschall that had bad solder joints and intermittent noise issues.  Very quick, easy and cheap to fix for his tech, but you wouldn't expect it.  I assumed his was a one off, it's been reliable since. 
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1831
    On the flipside, my Shiva has never missed a beat on well over 300 gigs, even with a clicking heater power supply..
  • fastboyfastboy Frets: 166
    welshboyo said:
    On the flipside, my Shiva has never missed a beat on well over 300 gigs, even with a clicking heater power supply..
    Never had any problems with any Bogner amps for reliability so guessing @Nerine you were very unlucky!

I remember my amp tech saying that the original Shiva was the best quality build he'd ever seen on a PCB amp when he saw my old one. 
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2234
    Yeah, that's kinda what I was guessing.
    I had my Shiva for a very long time to be fair. The tech I took it to to get it fixed also commented on the build being impressive.

• Hi @Nerine

I have the GF 45, I haven't tried a stand alone Boost Pedal in the Loop, but was wondering if you are running anything else in the Loop?

Are you running line level Effects in the loop at +4db and are worried about a standard instrument level boost pedal not being able to handle the input signal? If, so, I had the same worries and emailed a few manufacturers regarding whether their pedals could handle the input signal, some couldn't, some could, can't remember which ones, sorry but might be an idea for you to do the same with your intended boost pedals.

I ended up using the Ecstasy Pedals in front of the Amp for Solo boosts, as I sacrificed the Volume boost function on the amp by using the effects loop for my Strymons.

I'm just assuming that you are using other effects in the loop, if you weren't you could use the Amps Volume Boost. If you are using other effects I'm assuming you are worried about mismatching signal levels. I can't see a reason why it wouldn't work if everything "matches".

Just my 2p.

:-)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 842
    edited January 2015
    welshboyo said:

Yeah but it crapped out in the first week I had it. I bought it brand new! :)
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    Had a 20th anni Shiva for 3 yrs and its been nothing short of remarkable. I'd never trade or sell it.

Been after a Goldfinger for a while though. One never comes up at the right price or time and they are rare enough as it is!