Amp Buzz - Suggestions/ Comments Please

'Allo Peeps!

I don't usually frequent the Amps section, as I have very little understanding of these dark arts, but my friend Dan has a problem with buzzing with his and I thought I'd put it out there for ideas/ remedies/ "just the way it is, put up and shut up"s...Here's what he says:

"It's a Peavey Valveking 212.
It buzzes when I plug directly into it. It all buzzes (but differently?!) when I go through my pedal board.
The noise directly in is like an irritable distorted hum. Not dead loud, just a hum. The noise through the pedal board makes it a more nagging buzz.
Pedals = guitar to Rat to Boss tremolo to Boss tu3 to amp.
It does indeed intensify if I face the amp.
It does the same with different guitars."

Go!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72954
    Try turning the guitar down to zero. If the noise goes away it's the guitar picking up noise from something nearby.

The most likely cause if the noise varies with guitar orientation.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    edited January 2015
    @ICBM is probably right but I bought a new Peavey 6505 a few months back and had a lot of trouble with hum (there's a thread here somewhere). I'd only used the amp in my home studio and it was only when I took it out that I found the hum had disappeared. I eventually worked out the amp was picking up hum from an outboard hard drive attached to my PC.

None of my other amps suffer from this problem so it would seem the Peavey is susceptible to external mains interference. It's possible that the Valve King is also prone to hum so it might be worth checking by using the amp in different locations.
  • Thanks both ;)