Is 12 painkillers.....

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    I'd talk to somebody @mike_l - I take far too many painkillers and the best advice I got was 'Don't wait until you go yellow'.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

@JookyChap.

Thanks for your concern. I hate taking painkillers normally, I'm just venting a little as the pain won't subside.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Emp_Fab said:
    I was chatting to a nurse once who told me the sad tale of a young lad who'd taken loads of paracetamol in a 'cry for help' suicide attempt.  He passed out and ended up in hospital.  They pumped his stomach out and gave him all the anti-paracetamol drugs etc, and when he came round he was very apologetic and felt like an idiot etc etc, but......  they had to tell him he was going to die anyway, because his liver was now irreparably damaged and, being a suicide attempt, rather than an illness, he stood almost no chance of a liver transplant.  He was naturally fairly upset about this, and shortly after, he did indeed die.

Don't EVER take more than 8 x 500mg paracetamol in any 24h period.
    Didn't quite go that way for George Best though.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    And yeah Mike, don't do the man thing and "tough it out" - fuck that. Nag anyone you can to get some help, and change doctors if you're getting nowhere.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Emp's story is a bit like what happened to somebody on House. Don't risk it mate.
    My V key is broken
  • Paracetamol is a dangerous drug, you don't need to take that much to overdose.  However, the limits given on packets are well within the actual safe limits, and I'm sure @mike_l is taking them on the advice of a doctor (not just opening his mouth and guzzling them down like Homer Simpson might!).  It sounds like an awful lot to me, but I'm not a doctor!

My sister was once told by a doctor to take something like 3 paracetamol and 4 ibuprofen as a single dose as soon as she felt a migraine coming on.  It did kick the migraine's ass and she is alive to tell the tale!  Doctors tend to completely ignore dosages on packets, because they know the 'real' limits.  It wouldn't be safe to let us plebs know them :)  It's a nuisance you can't take ibuprofen @mike_l, maybe see if there's an alternative.

Thanks @clare_bear

Yep, the docs know how much and what I'm taking. More of a worry is the steroids they've given me too.........

I'm seeing a consultant on weds morning, so shall be enquiring about alternative pain relief.

Usually I avoid any meds, but don't really have much choice ATM. Yep, sadly, from experience Ibuprofen is a fantastic PK, but seriously screws me over........

No, I'm not doing the Homer thing, just it seemed a lot, but I havn't had any since, and only had a couple yesterday (cos I couldn't take any more pain)

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24395
    Are you still alive ?
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming

@Emp_Fab Yep. I'm here, and alive.

It'll take more than a few pills to kill me.......

Like Cockroaches, Keef Richards and Lemmy..........