NCD - Zilla 1x12" ported cab

What's Hot
FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11700
in Amps tFB Trader
After a long wait I finally ordered a Thiele design cab from Paul at Zilla
Based on the ElectroVoice plans and pretty much designed around the EV12M, I was taking a chance that it would work well enough with a celestion sidewinder (which in itself has some EV like characteristics in the mids although the top end is much more celestion like).

If it works out I am hoping to replace my previously liked Marshall 1912s - I will be doing some back to back testing to see how it flies.
First impressions are very good although it still doesn't come close to my Rivera 2x12"cab (although I am starting to realise just how damn fine that cab is)

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LewLew Frets: 1657
    That looks excellent and your phorography has taken a nice big step upwards too? :-)

Very happy with my Zilla. I may order another this year.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • maidenfanmaidenfan Frets: 197
    What are the specs of the Rivera, and could it be 'cloned' as such?

(Nice cab btw)
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11700
    tFB Trader
    Good question about the Rivera
    Older pic but this is the cab......solid as a house!

Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24864
    So that's what she's doing now Blind Date's finished....
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24780
    I tried to understand what a "thiele" spec cab meant - but even the wiki page is covered with funny maths related scribbles that I don't get.

So - it looks great! :D 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72931

That is possibly the most 80s cabinet ever. Looks like it should be in Blade Runner or Alien.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    Looks really compact.No chance of breaking your back lugging that around.
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    Filth.  

That's a nice looking cab. And I'm now trying to think of reasons that I need one..... cheers. 
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

tFB Trader
    ICBM said:

That is possibly the most 80s cabinet ever. Looks like it should be in Blade Runner or Alien.
    You've just made me love it even more........

I tried to understand what a "thiele" spec cab meant - but even the wiki page is covered with funny maths related scribbles that I don't get.

So - it looks great! :D 
    Yes I get lost as soon as I see the maths.
    I just accept that it's a ported cab with a bigger sound than you'd expect from it's size without getting muddy
    Even Mesa didn't entirely make their version according to plans- they adapted it to fit the size of one of their heads or combos so they could stack

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12701
    That cab needs Adrian Vandenberg standing on top of it with Peavey guitar in hand, with full lighting rig (and obligatory high power fan to blow well-tended hair back for the big solo), dry ice and spandex...

So 80s.

Actually *VERY* cool because of that.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

tFB Trader
    impmann said:
    That cab needs Adrian Vandenberg standing on top of it with Peavey guitar in hand, with full lighting rig (and obligatory high power fan to blow well-tended hair back for the big solo), dry ice and spandex...

So 80s.

Actually *VERY* cool because of that.
    So you've been to the private area of my Instagram account................

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1767
    edited January 2015
    In the freezer with that cab!

Soo cool
    The Rivera looks great, very, VERY 80's, needs to have a can of aquanet perched on the side just to complete the pic. What are the speakers in it?
  • Very cool
    edited January 2015 tFB Trader

CELESTION SIDEWINDERS IN BOTH CABS :)
    Nothing shouts 80s guitar tone quite as loudly as Celestion Sidewinders :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2389
    Nice :D
    Thanks for that, I wonder what a modern day equivalent would be?
    maidenfan said:
    Thanks for that, I wonder what a modern day equivalent would be?
    There's very little like them. They're almost uniquely powerfully voiced and efficient, just absolutely massive sounding. They're not the subtlest of speakers and don't sound at all 'vintage', but if you want a speaker that will make your amp about as loud and punchy as it possibly can be, these will do it. They're not joking abut the 103dB sensitivity either.

I had one of the Marshall 2x15" bass cabs with two of the 250W versions in - which have a surprising amount of top-end for 'bass' speakers - and a Marshall Major… now that was a loud half stack :).