How rubbish do non-broken-in speakers sound?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• just thinking, so speakers broken in after say 20 hrs of vigorous loud  all frequency playing. is this a finite thing or do the speakers continue to change over their life. ie will a speaker that's been broken in for a week solid playing sound different from one that's been used for 5 or ten years?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72822
    It's one of those exponential things, I think. Large, fast change over the first few hours, then smaller, slower change over a longer time, then even less over even longer, but still continues to some extent for a very long time or maybe indefinitely, even though the rate and the amount tends towards zero in the end.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31768
    Just watched the video, that was very interesting, not least because the iso-cab seems to have a slightly congested tone itself, to my ears anyway.
    My cab of choice is an open-backed 4x12, and I wonder whether that would make a greater or lesser difference to the pre-/post break-in sounds, given that my cones are already allowed to flap around far more than the ones in the test.

On one of the tests I preferred the Legend pre break-in, which is slightly worrying. It's expensive enough having to replace strings every gig, but four speakers too?
    ;)

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72822
    edited January 2015
    p90fool said:
    On one of the tests I preferred the Legend pre break-in, which is slightly worrying. It's expensive enough having to replace strings every gig, but four speakers too?
    ;)
    I think I did too. It sounded a bit muffled afterwards.

Depends on the amp though - I'm not a fan of those speakers in general because they do sound middy and a bit congested, to me - but I tried one (second hand and presumably well broken in) in an 80s Peavey Bandit, which has a bit of a tendency to sound hollow and edgy normally, and it was perfect.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein