Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Guitarists Who Are Better Than Most Would Think?

What's Hot

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Frets: 136
    edited October 2013
    Dave Edmunds
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    IanSavage said:
    Huey Morgan (Fun Lovin' Criminals and solo). Admittedly gets overlooked because he's just generally cool, but that motherfucker has some chops...
    Hell yes! One of my favourite guitarists, in one of my favourite bands.
  • Deadman said:

Some good suggestions here. I'm going to have to check out Captain Sensibles playing now as I've not heard much Damned before.

And that Bertie bloke too ;-)

@Deadman

Lol, one of my favourite programmes. I do recall that one now. I think Eloise is the only other Damned song I know and that's a cover (Without C.S, I think).

Which one's Bertie, BTW?

;)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Wicked psyche guitar solo...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhGDG8p0k4w
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10297
    Always rated Boz Boorer and Alain Whyte,not just as guitarist but also a great writing team.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Maybe Dave Keuning?

I think people have the impression that his stuff is easy to learn, fuck knows how he does it.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9692
    Glen Campbell
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    FelineGuitars;48080" said:
    Mick Mars of Motley Crue - very talented player without whom that band wouldn't have been the same.

Rossi and Parfitt of Quo - much maligned but few could make it work like they do.

Good call on Rossi and parfitt

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3312
    edited October 2013

C'mon - Michael J Fox in Back to the Future and Ralph Macchio in Crossroads - the skinny guitarist with the long black hair wasn't bad either. Given they had to learn guitar for their respective roles.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2013
    I don't think "the skinny guitarist with the long black hair" (played by Steve Vai) needed to learn guitar for this role! My understanding though is that his part took several takes as he struggled to play that last note 'wrong'.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3312

Ooh, I didn't know Adam Levine, singer of Maroon5 played guitar -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-uffZddHuw

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    as I understood it Ralph Macchio had to learn how to fake the guitar he didn't actually play any of the parts?

I will also give a +1 to The Edge despite that I can't stand U2. He does cleverly construct parts that carry the whole song and has a fairly distinctive style.

Whilst I'm here I will throw in Paul Rogers - often seen with a guitar and whilst there might be the assumption it is little more than a prop he is a pretty handy player. And what a great voice of course. Although that budget transvestite docker look he has adopted in recent years doesn't do him many favours.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    edited October 2013
    Eric, have a LOL for 'budget transvestite docker look'.

Also my understanding that Ralph 'karate-kid' Macchiato faked the guitar parts (and that they were actually played by Ry Cooder if memory serves).
  • Probably not recognised as a great guitarist because of the poppy rubbish he plays, but when you get to see him play the Blues - John Mayer can play with the best of them really.  
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72471
    Bucket said:
    Maybe Dave Keuning?

I think people have the impression that his stuff is easy to learn, fuck knows how he does it.
    He never comes across as anything but great to me! And like The Edge he has a very complex and distinctive playing style (and great tone).

So does Mark Stoermer for that matter.

The thing that's always really impressed me about them is that they're both about nine feet tall :). Keuning's Starcaster and Stoermer's Jazz bass look like toys when they're holding them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
     EricTheWeary said:
    as I understood it Ralph Macchio had to learn how to fake the guitar he didn't actually play any of the parts?

IIRC, Mr Steven of Vai played all the guitar parts

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    HAL9000 said:
    Eric, have a LOL for 'budget transvestite docker look'.

Also my understanding that Ralph 'karate-kid' Macchiato faked the guitar parts (and that they were actually played by Ry Cooder if memory serves).
    Cooder played the slide, Vai played the rock, the classical was played by someone from Juilliard IIRC.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    As Macchio's character played quite a variety of stuff (classical, blues slide, rock) I am pretty sure he was covered by at least three guitarists.

I gather there was an original version of the final head cutting scene when he won playing blues slide ( supplied by Ry Cooder). This was cut in favour of the neo-classical rock thing and which is why Cooder now hates the film. 

I really loved that film at the time. Spike Lee was supposed to be making a proper biopic of Robert Johnson, I wonder what happened to that? Googles - seems to be an HBO film in the works with P Diddy as Johnson.

Back on topic - Mike Harding? Mostly known as a mad old git but if memory serves me well he can play a mean bit of folk guitar.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    Suzzana Hoffs from the Bangles

In a rush so will have to pick a video at random.

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3086

^^ Gulp. Almost got caught out watching that at work!

Didn't Arlen Roth have something to do with teaching Ralph Macchio how to mime in Crossroads?

"A city star won’t shine too far"