The Man In The High Castle

What's Hot
Has anyone, other than me, on here watched it?  I believe it's free on Amazon Prime as part of it's Pilot Season.

Based on Philip K. Dick's award-winning novel and adapted by Frank Spotniz, The Man in the High Castle explores what it would be like if the Allied Powers had lost WWII, and Japan and Germany ruled the United States. Executive produced by Ridley Scott.

It's lovely.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Didn't know that was out, still need to get around to the book first :(
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    jd0272 said:
    The book is brilliant!

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12016
    I tried a discussion with a mate a while back, wondering what if Germany had won
    My hypothesis was that eventually reform would come from within the German state, and some civilised future would be forthcoming
    The guess then would be to assess if more suffering was involved in WW2 as it ran, or if the UK and USA had not got involved

Maybe I should watch this show and see what it says about the US
    d8m;491541" said:
    jd0272 said:

The book is brilliant!
    So I do be told!
  • As it's a pilot for a proposed series, I do not think that it will spoil the book for you.
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    edited January 2015
    Glad I spotted this thread. I was looking for something to watch. I shall watch TMITHC.

edit:

Well I just watched it and really enjoyed it. Pity there is only one episode though. I guess I'll have to re-read the book instead.
  • @Dogload, I'm glad that there's only one episode. I would have lost my weekend.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9674
    I read the book years ago (went through a Phillip K Dick phase) but I can't remember much about it. Maybe it's time to read it again...
    I have now ordered said book. I shall embark upon it once it has arrived, and I have finished Levi's 'If This Is A Man'. 

jd0272 said:
    I have now ordered said book. I shall embark upon it once it has arrived, and I have finished Levi's 'If This Is A Man'. 
    same here, pilot was ok, I suspect the book is better

jd0272 said:
    Race ya!

Only joking, v little time free to read books sadly.
    jd0272 said:

jd0272 said:
    Race ya!

Only joking, v little time free to read books sadly.
    again same here
    trying to read the Brian Cox ones I got for Christmas 
  • This is what happened to me after Mockingjay Pt 1, I had to read the book.  The problem is that as TMITHC is going to be a TV series, hopefully, the writers may have to deviate away from the book to keep it going if the series becomes successful.

I'm very glad that I've discovered it now, I've lost days of productivity to Breaking Bad and BSG.  If I can do this in easy, manageable, chunks I'll be alright.
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    I also went through a PKD phase and read this, while it's good it was also for me one of the less satisfying ones, there's not much indication of why we're in this alternate history or what it was all about (which I was sort of expecting from the i-ching stuff).
    Speaking of Amazon Prime, anyone watching Constantine? It suffers a little from repeating-plot-point-in-case-you-missed-it dialogue (especially the pilot), but is otherwise pretty good, and has kept the punk references which must be from the original comic.
  • TMITHC is all about authenticity of vintage artefacts, isn't it? Is that suitable reading for a guitar site? Won't the angst be too much for us? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    imalone said:
    I also went through a PKD phase and read this, while it's good it was also for me one of the less satisfying ones, there's not much indication of why we're in this alternate history or what it was all about (which I was sort of expecting from the i-ching stuff).
    Speaking of Amazon Prime, anyone watching Constantine? It suffers a little from repeating-plot-point-in-case-you-missed-it dialogue (especially the pilot), but is otherwise pretty good, and has kept the punk references which must be from the original comic.
    it picked up a bit after a shaky start
    I think they've simplified it too much

his accent in the pilot was hilarious

I think it's at risk of being chopped

I want to see Preacher, that's got to be the best ever comic book series for use as a screenplay
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    imalone said:
    it picked up a bit after a shaky start
    I think they've simplified it too much

his accent in the pilot was hilarious

I was surprised to find out he was British, he seemed to be channelling a modern Dick Van Dyke. Haven't read the original, but wouldn't be surprised to find out it's been simplified since that's par for the course.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7860
    there's also Fatherland (Robert Harris) which is based around Germany winning the war.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Paul_C said:
    there's also Fatherland (Robert Harris) which is based around Germany winning the war.

'Fatherland' is excellent. What's surprising is that the film version of it isn't a total stinker!
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7593
    I'm on Episode 7 - it's g o i n g  v e r y   s l o w l y . . . . .
    Red ones are better.