Lend me your ears

I've been mixing this a bit lately and just wondered if anyone passing would have a little listen and maybe give some feedback. The style will probably not cater to all tastes and this is very much a home studio effort but 2nd..3rd etc opinions all gratefully received!

https://soundcloud.com/parker-somers/hh-1

Cheers

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    Might be a good idea to bus the reverb so the guitar sits a little better with the drums, it also would be better lower in the mix, at 2:35 gets a tad messy, but thats so easy to do with the splashy guitar sound , maybe play a straight triad rather than the full chord to tighten it up ?
    The song is v good actually :)
    Well done and keep at it 
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    I think you've done a great job with the vocals. It's sat a lot higher than I normally prefer but it sounds really rich to my ears on a phone this morning.
  • johnswissjohnswiss Frets: 393

Thanks for having a listen guys. It's not been the easiest to mix, the only thing recorded here has been the vocals, the rest done elsewhere on a zoom 16 track recorder and I got those tracks as wavs which ive put into sonar X1, also the drums were all on one track. I think though that the guy who put the music together makes up for not having the best equipment by having a great feel and ideas.

sweepy said:
    Might be a good idea to bus the reverb so the guitar sits a little better with the drums, it also would be better lower in the mix, at 2:35 gets a tad messy, but thats so easy to do with the splashy guitar sound , maybe play a straight triad rather than the full chord to tighten it up ?
    The song is v good actually :)
    Well done and keep at it 

The reverb is already bussed and I agree the ending is a bit messy at the moment and does needs some tweaking.

Cheers

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Very good song .. I liked it. I think the guitar tones clash - you could maybe use some EQ and compression to create space and separation between tones and I agree with the comment about not playing full chords [these can clash with the bass].

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • johnswissjohnswiss Frets: 393

Thanks Fretwired that's good advice. Cheers
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    I'd work on the levels. The guitar panned hard left is too prominent for my liking. I'd pull the guitars a tad closer to each other but that's a personal taste thing. I'd also EQ the bass to give it a little more punch, it's a good level but perhaps a tad washy.

The drum image doesn't seem to be very wide. so it feels a little clustered. any chance you could pan it more?

I like the song!

• Thanks Branshen, more good advice there. Cheers