Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Recommend me some music, that I'll hate! (Seriously!)

What's Hot
DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2171
Okay, I've lost track of the amount of youtube videos I've watched recently. In one video a chap mentioned that for inspiration and for discovering new ways of thinking, he listens to and plays music he absolutely hates. This intrigued me.

I like to think of myself as pretty open minded, I've listened to and I appreciate a lot of different genres. But I've obviously avoided the music which hasn't pulled me in. And i've moved towards my preffered listening material.

So I like- jazz, anything harmonically interesting, classical music, IDM, early hip hop, fusion, folk. I hate to be thought of as being a music snob. I'm not, I just like what I like.

I'm looking for suggestions as to what to listen to. So genres i really don't like -

Super heavy, death, doom, stoner metal, speed metal, rave music, manufactured pop music, worship music, super scruffy punk music (see my love of prog above),  Modern rap music, indie music (masses of reverb and delay etc)

I am genuinely not out to sling mud or anything like that. The main one for me is punk music. I love the ethos behind it all, but to me I've always thought "can't bloody play" etc etc. Somebody once told me to check out Astor Piazzolla and I was so glad I did. Joy of discovery and all that. So suggestions please :)
I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I highly recommend listening to Nile. I do not know what they are but they suck. Basically, anything that my brother "loves". Cannibal Corpse? Just all those dirty, weird, trashy, un-melodic, widdly, blah blah blah screaming like you're vomiting up your own lungs "vocalists" (because they can't be considered "singers" in my book)... 

Go on. Try Nile. I dare you. I remember I used to watch Scuzz as a kid. They had some video on there... I seem to remember the "song" (or, more accurately, noise) was titled along the lines of "Sacrifice Unto Sebek" or something like that. 

Good luck comrade. 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • rprrpr Frets: 310
    edited January 2015
    Heres a selection of some od my tastes that may fit the bill

edited January 2015

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72675
    edited January 2015
    Cascada.

Laughably formulaic Euro-trance-pop - all their songs basically sound the same, to the point of only seeming to have one drum pattern and bassline across three or four albums - but if you just turn off your mind and enjoy the impossibly predictable melodies and stupidly cheesy lyrics, I defy you to hate them completely :). The singer is (or perhaps was, now...) quite hot too, which might help.

Best album: probably the first one, Everytime We Touch. Although it might be hard to tell them apart anyway.

(I used to cover the title track in my acoustic duo by the way... it's almost a good song!)

Edit for gratuitous Cascada video.

Warning: may induce epilepsy. Even if you don't have it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16303
    Oft top of me 'ead:
    Dead Kennedys. They could play and were quite inventive, probably to the degree they shouldn't have been punk at all! There is also no Jamaican music in either of your lists. Maybe start with some British Jamaican music - Handsworth Revolution by Steel Pulse. This is almost a prog reggae album so you might have a way in. Then maybe Marcus Garvey by Burning Spear, appears in a lot of albums before you die type lists. Then Garveys Ghost which is the dub version of that album, a lot of people hate dub so that would be a good challenge for you!
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    edited January 2015

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Excellent. Nothing divides a room like reggae so it seemed an obvious choice!
    I think the other thing I'd say is always go see something live, I think you get a much better idea of what a music is trying to achieve than just off the recorded version. Very little live music that I can't get some pleasure out of.
    edited January 2015
    Nothing divides a room like reggae so it seemed an obvious choice!
    Really? There are people who hate reggae?? Wow.

Actually my wife doesn't like reggae (no 10CC joke coming up either :) ), but that's because she grew up in west London in the 70s and early 80s so I think she got over-exposed to it..

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Actually, if we're looking for marmite modern music some chuggy 12 bar blues, maybe some Walter Trout or Joe Bonamassa. Certainly divides this forum anyway.
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3054
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Neil Young.

Start with Arc :).

Or Trans...

• beed84beed84 Frets: 2420
    First band to come to the top of my head are Swedish metal band Meshuggah.  Not heard all of their stuff myself, but what I have heard is HEAVY!  Although you might think "what a load of racket",  their songs structures are quite complex incorporating polyrhythms and various styles such as thrash and fusion.

Crank it up and enjoy!
    Ahh that's Kid Ramos on that FTs clip, I have a great album of Mexican blues he did somewhere. Last I heard he had been seriously ill, hope he's okay, fab blues guitarist.
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3054
    edited January 2015

edited January 2015

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4327
    edited January 2015

Give these a try...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9mLeUMEYZg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBQmV2zZK5o

If you can manage to garner any kind of artistic inspiration from either I salute you.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• albanovalbanov Frets: 55
    I used to live with a fellow who liked DJ Hixxy. Jesus wept.

Anyway, enjoy:

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7816
    Check out, , Flogging Molly, Mighty, Mighty Bosstones (impression that I get is the biggie), Mad Caddies. Rise Against, NoFX, Good Riddance. Save Ferris and Less than Jake.

That should be a good cross section of the more modern end of punk & ska

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3927
    Minutemen.