Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

New valves? Nutube. An interesting innovation?

What's Hot

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1638

Interesting, would have liked some numbers.

Does it need a heater supply? If not, how does it work?

30,000 hours is about 3.5 years? I think we all know pre amp valves can last a lot longer than that.

But as I say, interesting!

Dave.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6197
    tFB Trader
    Miniature amps will get a whole lot more interested very soon. I guarantee they'll attempt a mini ac30 with this.....
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • Who uses a valve continuously anyway? Only really applies to mixing consoles that are permanently on. In a guitar amp with 3 hours a day use it could be 27 1/2 years!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72510
    Interesting, but I can't really see it taking off. The lack of compatibility with existing valve technology is a huge disadvantage.

I could be completely wrong of course.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Will they do an output valve version? Or is the design only suitable for ECC83-alikes?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • gjonesygjonesy Frets: 146
    ecc83 said:

Interesting, would have liked some numbers.

Does it need a heater supply? If not, how does it work?

30,000 hours is about 3.5 years? I think we all know pre amp valves can last a lot longer than that.

But as I say, interesting!

Dave.

it says it has a anode, grid and filament so presumably operates just like a triode. 
  • ICBM said:
    Interesting, but I can't really see it taking off. The lack of compatibility with existing valve technology is a huge disadvantage.

I could be completely wrong of course.
    And, since i/p valves tend to last a lot longer, they usually need replacing for physical damage like microphony rather than any other reason. Whereas o/p valves tend to be more highly stressed, and likely to fail.

Now, if they could mount that thing that looks like a dilic into a vertical container that is pin compatible with ECC83s then they might just make some inroads into the market, subject to the above caveat that people aren't always wanting to replace i/p valves like they do power valves.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Quite like the idea - maybe possible to do "big" amps in smaller heads.

Imagine a 50 watt dual rec that's half the size because it uses those in the preamp rather than conventional valves. That would be a pretty attractive thing.
    Quite like the idea - maybe possible to do "big" amps in smaller heads.

Imagine a 50 watt dual rec that's half the size because it uses those in the preamp rather than conventional valves. That would be a pretty attractive thing.
    Preamp valve size is nowhere near the limiting factor in making amps like that - transformers are, mostly. There's no reason a 50W amp can't be more or less lunchbox-sized already, even with full-size power valves as well as preamp.

The only real use I can see for these is putting valves in things that don't currently use them due to size and power consumption, eg pedals, or acoustic guitar preamps - although even there Takamine managed to get a full-size 12AU7 into the Cool Tube preamp - or really non-guitar stuff. Korg already did that with a couple of their grooveboxes, and even then they easily fitted two 12AX7s in.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    I love reading threads like this, even though I understand maybe 1 word in 3.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17652
    tFB Trader
    I think it would be really interesting if they could do a power tube version or something that mounted into the same package as an existing tube.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2360
    ecc83 said:

30,000 hours is about 3.5 years?

At the rate I practise it's about 400 years >:D<
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 557

I can see how they might be attractive to effects pedal builders, where there is no need for big power devices and transformers but where they want to bring in some of the 'flavour' of the tube pre amp section.

As others have said the big issues are with the transformers and power stages all of which contribute to the overall tube charater and sound.

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9670
    If you're technically inclined, it's probably based on this technology.
  • I'm guessing these will form the basis of a new generation of sound cards and mic pres.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I don't think this will ever take off for guitar amps. One of the good things about valves is that they're easy to replace - just pull one, and fit the other. This package type requires far more careful handling than the average guitarist is capable of.
    <space for hire>
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11952
    biggest problem I can see for possible use within guitar amps is "how do you compete with 60+ years of fine tuning useing existing valve models", and also the fact that the much larger output stages are critical too

• NerineNerine Frets: 2176
    There's already lots of valve pedals, mic pre's, compressors, mics etc etc that utilise a fairly standard 12ax7 size valve.
    I'm not sure that that is going to change any time soon. The form factor of many of these things has always worked and never needed addressing with smaller tech really.
    I'm not even sure reliability is much of a selling point either. It's not like preamp valves go south that often.

They can try to replace valves if they like. I just can't see it ever affecting the guitar and studio market in any significant way. This isn't the first attempt at doing this by a long shot either..

Check out my new handwired plexi, it's got these weird computery techy "valves" in it....

NOPE.
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    ICBM;500708" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

Quite like the idea - maybe possible to do "big" amps in smaller heads.

Preamp valve size is nowhere near the limiting factor in making amps like that - transformers are, mostly. There's no reason a 50W amp can't be more or less lunchbox-sized already, even with full-size power valves as well as preamp.

The only real use I can see for these is putting valves in things that don't currently use them due to size and power consumption, eg pedals, or acoustic guitar preamps - although even there Takamine managed to get a full-size 12AU7 into the Cool Tube preamp - or really non-guitar stuff. Korg already did that with a couple of their grooveboxes, and even then they easily fitted two 12AX7s in.
    What currently prevents transformers being miniaturised? I'd imagine higher power magnets and printed coils could take the size and weight down a lot.
    Evilmags said:
    What currently prevents transformers being miniaturised? I'd imagine higher power magnets and printed coils could take the size and weight down a lot.
    Transformers don't contain magnets - just iron (or other ferromagnetic) cores. I'm not totally certain of the physics but there will be a minimum size - it's quite possible they could be made a bit smaller though, in fact modern toroids are smaller than the traditional 'square' design. You can't really make coils much smaller because they have to handle fairly high currents and voltages, so there is a minimum thickness of wire and of insulation.