SG 600-VI

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• enteeentee Frets: 93
    Afternoon peeps - latest update.  The geetar went into paint today for base and topcoats.  Its has 3 coats of a base Nissan colour (The same as my Skyline as the paint was left over lol) and a further 2 coats of a coloured lacquer top coat, and a single coat of clear.  It will now dry off and harden for 2/3 days before cutting back and polishing.
    Apologies for quality of pics - camera on the phone not my usual DSLR :)

Front base coats

Rear base coats

Front top coats

Rear top coats (apologies that you can see me in it lol)

More to come once it has hardened and been polished, prior to reassembly.  Not sure what my decorative plans are now, as I have had to change them due to the nature of the paint that was used.  Will keep you updated....

Vox 24, Variax 700, Epiphone Dot Studio (Cats Whiskers pups, custom inlay, custom pickguard), Gretsch 5238T (P90s/B3), Gibson Les Paul Zoot (rainbow), Gretsch 5135 PS, 'Graick' G2312TVR, BarileleBo (electric baritone ukulele G6199).
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    Looks really good :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    So here it is in its final colour coats - flatted off with 2000 grade and polished up to what you see here  :)  Now ready for mock up with pickups, switches, Bigsby etc, to make sure wiring all works.  Getting close to the finish line now  :)

So there you go - more than a few hours, filling, preparing, rubbing back, filling, rubbing back, spraying base and top coats, flatting a polishing - and I must admit I am very pleased with the result.  (Don't scratch it reassembling!)
    Hopefully next month the SGTR (SG and GTR Skyine) will be a fully functioning guitar again

Vox 24, Variax 700, Epiphone Dot Studio (Cats Whiskers pups, custom inlay, custom pickguard), Gretsch 5238T (P90s/B3), Gibson Les Paul Zoot (rainbow), Gretsch 5135 PS, 'Graick' G2312TVR, BarileleBo (electric baritone ukulele G6199).
    It's very good indeed!
  • Looks neat!

I have encountered a minor hiccup - the control knobs I bought for this don't suit the look I am now going for, so I'll have to source some gold barrel ones now  lol  Best laid plans etc etc.  I have bought wood knobs with a gold star in the end, but the wood doesn't fit the theme....ah well.

So next, I'll source the gold barrel knobs, and hopefully a gold truss rod cover.  Then it's switch/pot installation, and pickup connections.  Almost there!

Today's exploits were to get the switches and control pots in place - solder up, then install the pickups.  A lot of fettling got the cables all in the right place.  I covered the truss rod cover and control cavity cover with some carbon fibre wrap, which seems to suit the scheme quite well.  Once it is finally finished, I will post photos to show everything, but I am very pleased so far  :)

• MossMoss Frets: 2409
    Woah...
    Stop crying, start buying
    Wow.... The dog's b*******s and no mistake :)
  • That's a shedload of switches. Really nice modding there @entee. Liking the colour choice and finish too. 
    edited May 2015

It's definitely a few switches  :) 

An on-off for each pickup and a tap for the Warman G-rails which are effectively 3 single coils; a tappable 2 single coil as a hot humbucker and a stand alone single.  I have the option of the twin rail - the twin rail with single - and the single on its own. 

And yes the guitar does sound different in each variation...it's remembering which is which that's the tricky part.

The colour scheme was rather dictated by the fact I had paint left over from having my Skyline painted before.  The Bigsby came up on FB, so blue and gold it was to be  :)  Once the control knobs arrive, I'll take finish photos  :)