Is there a word for this?

What's Hot
DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5565
Is there a specific word for putting modern music in a programme/film set in the past?

Watching Peaky Blinders which is set in 1919 Birmingham but they juxtapose a lot of modern Nick Cave over the top of it. Just wondering if this technique has its own name?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72677
    Anachronistic

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5565
    Aye, that would do it.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    edited February 2015
    Strangely does my head in. Like the intro to Boardwalk Empire or recent Game of Thrones trailers. Then again, it only seems to be specific ones that bother me..

By the way, I love Nick Cave and have Peaky Blinders on my Sky box. 

See, another example of my double standards.
  • Annoying? It depends on the musical style a bit, anything classical-sounding, even if composed recently, is ok in historical stuff for me, but I can't get trough Chariots of Fire without laughing at the ridiculous 80s synths.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Between the title and the incidental music it's probably quite rare to find film or television music that is 100% accurate to the time and period for any historical drama. The music of 1919 Birmingham would have been probably some Irish folk music, an organ grinder and an early line up of The Move...
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    ICBM said:
    Anachronistic
    There's that. 

I also think it can come across as rather affected and inappropriate. IMO you've got to be very, very careful in what you choose, let me put it that way. 

I think that period-appropriate recorded music can be very atmospheric. I once heard a radio drama set in Mussolini-days Italy. I couldn't tell you for the life of me what the songs were, or who was singing them, but they were all Italian tunes of the era, and all chosen fittingly when there was a time lapse/ change of mood etc. Really evocative.