Computer guys, how to reduce the noise from cooling fan

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Don't forget - if you're using a vacuum cleaner on the fans, you really do want to hold the fan still while you're doing it. That won't get the caked-on crap off it, though; like I said, it's much better to take the fans out, clean them with a wet wipe (and remove any crud from around the fan mount and heatsinks if necessary) then re-attach. It's a ballache of a job, but it'll definitely improve things.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6406
    Getting generic PC systems means that changing fans/psu etc is a piece of cake.

Got a pretty silent computer thanks to QuietPC - noisiest bastard was the Northbridge chipset fan rather than Case fans/CPU cooling/Graphics cooling/PSU - though over time they've all been replaced with silent variants

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • @Rocker. In my experience, the worst fans have been the smaller ones. Things like graphic card fans and fans on motherboards have given a higher pitched noise than power supplies and the like. 

• @Rocker. In my experience, the worst fans have been the smaller ones. Things like graphic card fans and fans on motherboards have given a higher pitched noise than power supplies and the like. 
    Yup - that's because they have to spin so much faster than larger fans to shift the same amount of air.
    <space for hire>
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10515

That model normally has onboard graphics so you can ditch the card if you don't play game. Pull the card out and connect the monitor to the onboard VGA
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Yup - that's because they have to spin so much faster than larger fans to shift the same amount of air.
    which is why I love the 140mm fan on my Noctua cooler so much :)

• RockerRocker Frets: 5009
    Danny1969 said:

That model normally has onboard graphics so you can ditch the card if you don't play game. Pull the card out and connect the monitor to the onboard VGA
    That is the way it was setup @Danny1969.  However I plan on getting a new screen [DVI connection].  My 19" HP monitor still works but it is very poor, almost impossible to see, I am using an old Philips 170/B monitor until I have the funds for the new screen.  

Thanks guys for the comments, a quick clean of the fans has made a significant difference.  Tomorrow I will remove the fans and clean the blades of each with a wet wipe cloth.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum