Balls!

What's Hot
spacecadetspacecadet Frets: 671
edited August 2013 in Off Topic
Of the golf variety. Having not played for many years I'm out of touch. What do you golfers use these days and why? Control, distance etc.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28937
    edited August 2013
    Whatever they give me at the little hut. Usually I have either the blue or green one and Lady BMcH has the red or yellow one. I get the longer putter because I'm taller.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5878

What do the Pro's use? That's agood place to start.

Callaway, Nike etc.

I don't think they have yet invented a Golf Ball with A.I that redirects itself away from Trees, Water and Sand

;)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26947
    I have nothing to add to this discussion.

I just want to annoy @Myranda (or show her how the tagging works, whichever floats your boat).
    <space for hire>
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • spacecadetspacecadet Frets: 671
    Sporky said:
    Whatever they give me at the little hut. Usually I have either the blue or green one and Lady BMcH has the red or yellow one. I get the longer putter because I'm taller.
    Haha. I still use a small putter despite being 6'4". I do look a bit of a berk. I like the idea of using blue balls tough. ;-)

What do the Pro's use? That's agood place to start.

Callaway, Nike etc.

I don't think they have yet invented a Golf Ball with A.I that redirects itself away from Trees, Water and Sand

;)
    I don't pay too much attention to the pro's anymore. Not since Faldo retired. He was my idol who I modeled my swing on.

I remember that you would use a balata to get extra spin control on the ball but you couldn't hit them as far.
    Come to think of it, I think there was an article about golf balls in E&T a few issues back - I'll see if I can dig it out.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28348
    I last played golf 3 weeks after getting married. That was just over 20 years ago. I'd like a go again but I lent my clubs to my best mate and he gave away my putter then moved to America. B*stard!
    Sporky said:
    Come to think of it, I think there was an article about golf balls in E&T a few issues back - I'll see if I can dig it out.
    Nice one @Sporky. Ta very much.
    axisus said:
    I last played golf 3 weeks after getting married. That was just over 20 years ago. I'd like a go again but I lent my clubs to my best mate and he gave away my putter then moved to America. B*stard!
    It's in troubled times like these we need a group of vigilantes with pitchforks smilie.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1483
    I’m going against the grain here and will be giving a sensible reply (sorry!).

If you’ve not played in years, I’d recommend a harder “distance” ball that’s going to be easier to keep straight. The softer balls that give you more control (i.e. like the ones the pros use – Titliest ProV1 and the like) are far more susceptible to spinning which will make for more wayward shots. It’s also possible to get something in the middle of these two.

The range made by Bridgestone are all very good quality. The E6 is a pure distance ball – basically like hitting a stone! But will keep straighter on wayward swings.

The E5 is a bit of both..Hard as nails core, but a bit of a softer outer to give a bit of control around the greens.

If you want something “tour like”, I’d recommend the B330RX or RXS. They aren’t the tour pro balls (these are the B330), but are designed to help with slower, amateur swing speeds, unlike the tour balls which are optimised for faster swings like the pro’s have. These are the balls I use most regularly, and they’re very very good (although a bit more expensive).

Another option would be the AD333 made by Srixon – great all round ball and can usually be had for little money.

Lastly, the other one I’d recommend would be the Wilson DX2 or DX3 – both great all round balls and usually dirt cheap.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7310
    Do they make a modular system where you can add or remove dimples as required?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • strumjoughlampsstrumjoughlamps Frets: 3328
    edited August 2013
    Some people get attached to the type of ball they use, I had a Ping 2 coloured ball and got put into fours on a busy day at my local course, one of the chaps gave me 30 quid for it and got my lunch and a pint in the clubhouse after he was so chuffedto have found his fave type of ball.

I use whatever I have picked up cheap, I also have a couple of flashing ones when we play into dusk
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    joneve said:
    Titliest
    Christina Hendricks is arguably the titliest woman on TV.
    My V key is broken
    I found the E&T article - it's all about the Titleist V1 and V1x. Possibly a bit too engineering-geek focussed though rather than being anything about playing.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    joneve said:

The E5 is a bit of both..Hard as nails core

I find this, especially with a dirty sound ;-)

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21)