Parlour guitar

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Regarding the 12 string Brett. I struggle with tuning guitars and have to use a tuner, would it be easy to tune with an electronic tuner? If its not being used that much, how long could it be left with strings tuned? I've read that people detension the strings to prevent the bridge lifting etc. If I had to do this and retune it every time that would be a big con for me. If its tuned to D to ease the string tension, how would this alter the chord shapes? Sorry to sound so simple. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • There're no two ways around it. Tuning guitars is a pain. Tuning 12strings is doubly so. If not tuned properly it'll sound DREADFUL!
    This particular model (assuming you restring as needed etc) will hold its tune very well. 
    However, whenever I pick up one of my guitars I immediately grab my tuner (which is electronic) and check the tuning before I play. "Hearing" the tuning is an acquired skill that you WILL learn, when I hit a chord & it doesn't sound right I can identify and fix the string that's "out" relative to the rest- this keeps the guitar sounding right… but doesn't help when playing along to a record (or other musicians) if the whole guitar is slightly flat!

My Brett 12 is kept tuned to D (or occasionally Eb)- I sing in quite a low register, and this helps me stay in tune. I also play a LOT of Gaslight Anthem songs, they also tune to D. This model was designed from the start as a 12string and (apparently) has reinforcement under the bridge to stop any structural issues that may occur due to string tension associated with being in E standard. 

If you're tuned to D and want to be in E Standard a capo on the second fret is the solution.

My best advice would be to try as many different yet suitable guitars as you can lay your hands on- shops, friends etc. and attempt to work out what you like/dislike about each one. It took me a surprisingly long time to work out that I dislike gloss finish on the necks of my guitars- they HAVE to be satin. Then I discovered that despite sounding good dreadnoughts are too cumbersome for me. Learning what works for you (and not for anyone else) is part of growing as a musician.

Don't believe me? Read the "brands I don't get" thread.
    If one manufacturer made the perfect guitar for everyone then they'd cure GAS overnight!
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    Parlour - so Victorian, like their games - like the one where you put a sheet up with strategic hole cut in it and the guys get to stand in a row behind it and the ladies...

Bloody love those games...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

• Thanks again. Great help. I'd rather tune to D after what I've read but find a capo gets in the way a bit.