Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

So I tried a PRS SE last night...

What's Hot
DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
....and it was awesome. One of those 30th Anniversary models.

Why did I previously hate all the PRS guitars I played? 

Tried one that was supposedly worth £5k that the demo dude was playing at a guitar show in The Cavern. It was horrible. Tried various customs in the past and they seemed very plain other than the ott bling finishes.

Have I just got to "that" age? I'm certainly not on a dentist wage so help me understand what has happened.
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11879
    Perhaps the less than "perfection" on the SE is what makes it awesome and gave it character? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    RaymondLin;512539" said:
    Perhaps the less than "perfection" on the SE is what makes it awesome and gave it character? 
    Exactly what I was going to say, factory perfect is often sterile, and perfect (for an individual) is often because of some quirk or fault.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30928
    Just unfriended Deja on Facebook. This thread was the perfect excuse.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The Zach Myers PRS Se is one of the only guitars in guitarguitar Birmingham that all the staff like.
  • Have unfriended @Gassage in advance

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Those SE's are bloody excellent value.
  • My teech prefers the standard neck puckup in my Paul Allender SE to his full fat American one hes got for sale, personal preference I guess, or Im awesome on the neck pickup.
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• ElwoodElwood Frets: 454
    I don't think I've ever played horrible guitar. What was so bad about the american and so good about the SE?
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    I've only tried one, and I didn't like it. Felt soulless, but maybe it was just a poor one?
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    I love the SE's...i almost bought one a few years ago. I was either buying a bernie marsden or the akesson. But all the 245's felt amazing to play.

Not really sure why i still dont own one...may have to correct that in the future
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Ionian said:
    I don't think I've ever played horrible guitar. What was so bad about the american and so good about the SE?

The particularly expensive one felt clunky to me, the board was really dry and I felt like any bend or speed felt laboured. The customs I tried were just uninspiring.

This SE was the total opposite of both of those.

Maybe the ones I tried were just bad ones. 
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6189
    tFB Trader
    Gassage said:
    Just unfriended Deja on Facebook. This thread was the perfect excuse.
    Not a PRS fan? or not an SE fan?
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    I must confess that I actually slightly preferred the SE Custom I had for a while to my US made Custom 24.  Don't know why.  

Sure, the US PRS felt better made, but the SE was no disappointment.  Had someone told me it was a US built 'PRS Junior' or something, I'd have had no problems believing them.  I used the SE on quite a few paid sessions, and it handled them all with no trouble at all, stock pickups and everything.
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
  • When I bought my SE one, I tired it against a few LP Juniors and it was better than all off the Gibsons.  Don't know much about other SE models, but the SE one was fantastic VFM
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I don't think I've ever played horrible guitar. 
    Seriously? I've played some very expensive guitars in shops and the were sooooooo bad. Usually when they have sat for a year or two in the wrong environment/temperature/humidity. I'm sure that most of them could have been substantially improved, but I have never felt like throwing a big wadge of money at something that played horribly when I tried it.
  • ElwoodElwood Frets: 454
    axisus;513427" said:
    Ionian said:

I don't think I've ever played horrible guitar. 

Seriously? I've played some very expensive guitars in shops and the were sooooooo bad. Usually when they have sat for a year or two in the wrong environment/temperature/humidity. I'm sure that most of them could have been substantially improved, but I have never felt like throwing a big wadge of money at something that played horribly when I tried it.
    I think the worst was a Gibson SG in a shop. Wouldn't have described is as horrible. Just a let down in playability and quality.

So in your case the guitars were neglected/not setup?

• Deijavoo said:
    ....and it was awesome. One of those 30th Anniversary models.

Why did I previously hate all the PRS guitars I played? 

Tried one that was supposedly worth £5k that the demo dude was playing at a guitar show in The Cavern. It was horrible. Tried various customs in the past and they seemed very plain other than the ott bling finishes.

Have I just got to "that" age? I'm certainly not on a dentist wage so help me understand what has happeneStay strong and it will pass.

Stay strong, it will pass....
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22970

I've only got one SE, an EG.  I got it in the late lamented(?) Sound Control, they had loads in stock so I was able to pick the nicest one.

The basic build quality is really good, and they're not as "plasticky" as most Korean guitars.  The early ones needed a couple of upgrades (especially the nut and tuners) but I get the impression they've improved that now?