Is This It

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• there are numerous exceptions of course.... "Doolittle" springs to mind. Still sounds fresh and energetic, but is full of hit after hit after hit. I also think that "Antics" is better than "Turn On The Bright Lights", but I seem to be in a minority there.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774

lloyd said:
    I always think that at the start of a career a bands had time to tweak all their songs over a few years or a load of live shows and rehearsals when they're 'struggling' artists, then sometimes the second album is expected or even demanded by the exec's and is rushed through somewhat, or even throw some songs that didn't make the cut for the first album.....

Yeah, you are spot on with that and that is a large part of the problem.  When I was saying about tweaking songs I meant more in chasing the perfect take, perfect studio gear etc. which isn't always the best for the listener.
    Yeah I got that about tweaking post-production and totally agree, especially for this kind of music. It needs a certain rawness for me. 

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    GavHaus said:
    there are numerous exceptions of course.... "Doolittle" springs to mind. Still sounds fresh and energetic, but is full of hit after hit after hit. I also think that "Antics" is better than "Turn On The Bright Lights", but I seem to be in a minority there.
    There's plenty of exceptions out there, lots of my favourite albums aren't first albums. Just explaining the reasons behind a quality first and lacklustre second.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7216
    edited February 2015

I think part of it now is that bands used to debut with an album... you had to work a lot harder to find them pre an album release. These days, you've heard everything from an album 6 months in advance if you can work a search engine

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GavHaus said:
    there are numerous exceptions of course.... "Doolittle" springs to mind. Still sounds fresh and energetic, but is full of hit after hit after hit. I also think that "Antics" is better than "Turn On The Bright Lights", but I seem to be in a minority there.
    I thought "Doolittle" was a greatest hits album first time I heard it. Just incredible. 
    "Antics" is much better than TOTBL it's just a much more refined sound which suits his voice much better.
  • GavHaus said:
    I thought "Doolittle" was a greatest hits album first time I heard it. Just incredible. 
    "Antics" is much better than TOTBL it's just a much more refined sound which suits his voice much better.

good. then we can be friends. Hahahahaha
  • GavHaus said:
    GavHaus said:

good. then we can be friends. Hahahahaha
    Yes! My mum will be so proud!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10342
    Bloody hell,was it that long ago when Is This It came out.

I agree,terrific album.

Gonna dig my copy out and give it a spin for the nostalgia.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    Classic album IMO.

Defined a new sound/era that countless bands copied after(not always in a good way)