Dust Covers - who do you recommend?

What's Hot
GadgetGadget Frets: 898
I'm after a couple of dust covers for my amp and combo. I don't play out, so don't necessarily need mega-padding.

I see HotCovers and RoqSolid. Are they any good? Any other recommendations?

I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• slateslate Frets: 89
    Hotcovers are great,just got another one delivered today for a cab - only ordered it on Monday. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Either are great. Hotcovers are as standard more padded, that's an option on RoqSolid.

Get prices from both and go with the cheapest.

Personally I've got a Hotcovers one for my amp head, and Roqsolid for my cabs.
  • Standard Roq Solid ones are marginally easier to fold down flatter than the padded Hot Covers covers. That is about the only meaningful difference I can think of, both are good quality and I've had several of each in multiple sizes.
  • I had a HotCovers one, that was great.  If it really is just for dust, you can make your own with some fabric and a stapler.  I saw it somewhere online, cut the fabric pieces, staple them together, turn it inside out, done.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3340
    Hot Covers are excellent. The faux-leather ones look stylish, have a little padding  and are well made. 

Prices for most combos come in between £25-40 and turnaround times are good.
  • I've got Roqsolid covers for my Orange head and cab.  Not cheap (£30-£40 each) but the vinyl Orange use seems more prone to damage than others I've had so it's worth the investment IMO.  The cab one is the normal felt-lined one and the head cover is the thicker foam padding.  Both excellent and still looking good after plenty of trips (I've had the cab cover a couple of years, the head one a bit less).
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72899
    Silverstone

I highly recommend you avoid them like the plague unless you want to have to get your money back via Paypal or whatever when you get tired of the excuses for why your cover hasn't arrived yet.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I once bought a vinyl Marshall 1960 cover and it lasted about 2 months before I gave up patching it up with duct tape. Any slight snag and it would tear. I think cheap covers are false economy. I've never had a tear happen to a Roq Solid/Hot Covers case even the ones I've used for over a year straight of 1-2 trips per week (I've usually GAS'd and sold stuff before they start to wear).
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Do people really use covers for amps they use at home? Mine get dusty and I just give em a clean every so often. I am more likely to play if my guitar is ready and I just need to flick a switch.
  • capo4th said:
    Do people really use covers for amps they use at home? Mine get dusty and I just give em a clean every so often. I am more likely to play if my guitar is ready and I just need to flick a switch.
    If it's strictly dust-cover only and the amp isn't being moved about then I agree - just dust it with the rest of the furniture, or throw a cloth over it :)
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 898
    Looks like an evens choice between RoqSolid and HotCovers then.

Anyone bought RoqSolid via eBay and noticed any drop in quality at all? Just a thought, as they come out slightly cheaper on there.

Thanks for the help :-)
    capo4th said:
    If it's strictly dust-cover only and the amp isn't being moved about then I agree - just dust it with the rest of the furniture, or throw a cloth over it :)

Each to their own, but I prefer to keep mine covered.

Dust can cause crackly pots, poor jack connections and that horrible burning smell when your valves heat-up. That's before we consider accidentally spilled drinks, kids' sticky paws, inquisitive pets, people bumping things into them, etc.

Most of my amps have mesh sides, so dust can get in easily and I don't think taking them apart to dust would be less time consuming than putting a cover over. In any case, I can leave my amps connected and ready to play even with a dust cover on.
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6405
    Another Roqsolid customer here.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Roqsolid +1
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 618
    edited February 2015
    I have 4 hot cover ones and I'm delighted with the quality and they fit correctly for whichever amp I bought them for.
    Also, the buying process was first class with delivery in a matter of a day or so. 

I haven't tried roqsolid so cannot comment
  • I've bought both mine direct from Roqsolid, but I doubt it would be any different going through ebay.  They make them all to order anyway AFAIK.  If they don't list a cover for your amp, or you want something changed, they make them to your measurements for no extra charge (I had to do that with my Rocker 30 head, then they added to the list of "known" kit).

The standard felt-backed cover will be plenty strong enough for your purposes.  I had the extra foam padding in my head cover but TBH it's not really much more protective than the normal felt.

Very well made, durable covers - and excellent service when I needed a cover they hadn't made before.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6405
    I've bought both mine direct from Roqsolid, but I doubt it would be any different going through ebay.  They make them all to order anyway AFAIK.  If they don't list a cover for your amp, or you want something changed, they make them to your measurements for no extra charge (I had to do that with my Rocker 30 head, then they added to the list of "known" kit).

The standard felt-backed cover will be plenty strong enough for your purposes.  I had the extra foam padding in my head cover but TBH it's not really much more protective than the normal felt.

Very well made, durable covers - and excellent service when I needed a cover they hadn't made before.
    all this and 3 free plectums ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Jalapeno said:

all this and 3 free plectums ;)
    They only gave me one.  The bastards, never buying from them again now :(
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2480
    ICBM;516726" said:
    Silverstone

I highly recommend you avoid them like the plague unless you want to have to get your money back via Paypal or whatever when you get tired of the excuses for why your cover hasn't arrived yet.
    I'd be interested to hear the back story on this as I've bought from them before and not had any issues
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72899
    strtdv said:
    I'd be interested to hear the back story on this as I've bought from them before and not had any issues
    Some people don't seem to. Others order a cover, then it doesn't show up for weeks, so they contact Shaun who says it's just being made that day or has just been made and will be posted in the morning or some other "cheque's in the post" thing, then more weeks go by… or he just doesn't answer emails at all.

A friend of mine also bought several covers from him over a period of a few years with no trouble, then with the last one it was as I've just described.

Do a Google search and check out the reports on other forums - maybe even on this one, I can't remember - and you'll find that this is typical. You basically just can't trust him.

Luckily my friend paid by Paypal, so when it didn't show up after a month of Shaun refusing to answer any communication, he immediately opened a dispute - and guess what, had an email from him within hours promising to get it made and sent the next day. He ignored it and got his money back.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• +1 for Roqsolid - Bought a pair from them, great service good quality :-)