Selling a PA

What's Hot
hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
Band has folded and I dont feel inclined to carry on so I am looking to sell the PA (it is all mine). Its quite comprehensive, capable of dealing with a 250seat room, with absolutely everything for a band to get gigging, but would I be better splitting it and selling items separately or try and sell it altogether? I fear that selling as a job lot will not get the full value as there are loads of things that I have acquired (such as a very comprehensive box of cable converters, y'know, jack to XLR, jack to phono, 3.5mm to ¼" jack, stereo to monojack etc etc, about 15 different ones in all), but the thought of hundreds of eBay listings is daunting.

Advice anyone?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    @permanentwaves started a thread on hiring a PA I asvised buying one. I dunno his budget or the value of yours but worth a chat maybe?

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• Splitting it is going to get the cash rolling in quicker, selling as one is best if you can.
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72571
    You're never going to get anything like the full value selling a second-hand PA system - it just doesn't seem to hold it.

If you sell it in one go you're likely to have to do a deal as there are fewer buyers who will want a complete system - especially if it's something above entry level, since most buyers looking to upgrade already have the extras and won't want to pay more for them.

If you break it up you'll sell the big items first and get left with a lot of small stuff which is worth next to nothing individually even though it cost a fair bit to buy or make, and is difficult and a lot of hassle to market.

Hard to know which is the lesser evil really. I'd probably go with selling in a job lot and let the buyer benefit from/have the hassle of selling the extras.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    Would it work if you were to sell all the big stuff individually and then just lump all the remaindered sundries together and sell them as a job lot?

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    ICBM said:
    If you break it up you'll sell the big items first and get left with a lot of small stuff which is worth next to nothing individually even though it cost a fair bit to buy or make, and is difficult and a lot of hassle to market.

Hard to know which is the lesser evil really. I'd probably go with selling in a job lot and let the buyer benefit from/have the hassle of selling the extras.
    As its a system with a powered mixer (A&H)  and a separate subs/amp/crossover, I think it might be a good idea to split it into groups.
    1. Mixer/amp with tops/stands, feedback suppressor, speaker cables, possibly with the 2 16way snakes,
    2. subs with power amp/crossover,
    3. mics, stands and cables, 
    4. drum mixer etc.
    I expect all of it is more than any pub band is going to want if they're starting out

Need to put a list together first then try and work out how much its worth. A lot of the bigger items were acquired s/h apart from the snakes and drum mixer so I dont necessaily think I'll be too much out of pocket. Mic and speaker cables I made up myself with  bulk cable and Neutrik ends.

I dare say there might possibly be someone with a wad of cash wanting a ready sorted PA with all bases covered. But unlikely I have to admit.
  • wayneiriewayneirie Frets: 419
    edited February 2015
    Might be worth investing in an amp to power the tops, then you can sell a complete system. Subs, tops amps crossover speaker stands. Mics are generally easy to move. Powered mixer should be easy to shift. I'd put the snakes, mic cables and mic stands on sound on sound as a job lot. Or break them down into two packages if you have a lot. Perfect for home studio etc.
    edited February 2015
    The mixer is a power amp (2x 500w RMS) so it is a complete system.

Thanks for the sound on sound info.
  • wayneiriewayneirie Frets: 419
    edited February 2015
    I know, what I was saying was was to get something cheap eg. Behringer power amp. Then you can sell tops and subs as a complete working system. If you're looking to buy a powered mixer it's probably likely you own speakers, already. People would more likely be interested in the powered mixer alone was all i was saying. And that a complete working system where you could plug desk, DJ mixer whatever into the crossover would likely be fairly easy to sell as a package.
  • Don't invest any more into it as you won't get it back! 
    Would like to know what the mics are!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I think you might be surprised that there a bands that would buy a complete system if the price is right.  

but it shouldnt be too hard to sell it in sections - mixer/amp and tops,   poweramp,  subs,  a job lot of cables etc

PA gear does suffer a big hit in used prices though (a bit like guitars at the moment) but if the price is right it should all go.

Before you try ebay, I'd list it here and on a local facebook selling group and the SoS classified and give options for the full system, groups of gear and individual prices.   
    edited February 2015
    maltingsaudio;520629" said:
    Don't invest any more into it as you won't get it back! Would like to know what the mics are!
    Shure Sm58 and Sennheiser E906
    John_P;520666" said:

Before you try ebay, I'd list it here and on a local facebook selling group and the SoS classified and give options for the full system, groups of gear and individual prices.   
    Thanks, as soon as I get a comprehensive list I'll do that.