Harley Benton ST-62 Thorpy's mod attempt

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Good job sir. I wouldn't mind listening to it being played through a clean amp.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzdazz Frets: 0
    Hope it's OK to bump this somewhat old thread. 
    First off congrats for the project, Thorpy, looks absolutely gorgeous. 
    And now a question please, I'm considering getting a used ST-62 for 65€, looks like a good deal if it's in good shape. I would swap the trem for one of those Wilkinsons, but I found a picture in another forum of the bridge holes of an ST-62 and the spacing was 52mm (pretty much like MIM's for all I know) According to Wilkinson's specs these trems can be fit in guitars with 54 to 56 mm string spacing. Do you know what your bridge hole spacing is please?
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6148
    tFB Trader
    dazz said:
    And now a question please, I'm considering getting a used ST-62 for 65€, looks like a good deal if it's in good shape. I would swap the trem for one of those Wilkinsons, but I found a picture in another forum of the bridge holes of an ST-62 and the spacing was 52mm (pretty much like MIM's for all I know) According to Wilkinson's specs these trems can be fit in guitars with 54 to 56 mm string spacing. Do you know what your bridge hole spacing is please?
    It's a long time ago now.... however the bridge I used was more universal fitting than a standard one. I.e it had elongated outer holes I think. It worked for me though 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • dazzdazz Frets: 0
    edited March 2017
    ThorpyFX said:
    dazz said:
    It's a long time ago now.... however the bridge I used was more universal fitting than a standard one. I.e it had elongated outer holes I think. It worked for me though 
    Thanks, much appreciated.
    Going by your pics, looks like you may have a 54mm hole spacing. Do you think enlarging the two outer holes in the bridge to fit to a 52mm body would be a bad idea? (I mean instead of redrilling the body, use a file to enlarge the two outer bridge holes). Would that damage the bridge or make it prone to rusting?
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6148
    tFB Trader
    dazz said:
    ThorpyFX said:
    dazz said:
    Thanks, much appreciated.
    Going by your pics, looks like you may have a 54mm hole spacing. Do you think enlarging the two outer holes in the bridge to fit to a 52mm body would be a bad idea? (I mean instead of redrilling the body, use a file to enlarge the two outer bridge holes). Would that damage the bridge or make it prone to rusting?
    Truthfully I just don't know, it's something you'd need to test and adjust if necessary yourself. 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • rphlfmfrphlfmf Frets: 0
    dazz said:
    I've done the same. Unfortunately, it seems that HB started using narrower spacings. I doubt that only enlarging the outer holes will do the trick as the other holes would be misaligned.
    I'm yet to find a good and affordable bridge for this guitar (with pop-in arm) as the only ones I could find until now were expensive (Hipshot and Callaham).  :/