Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What's your current squeeze?

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• NomadNomad Frets: 549
    nickp said:

this - I like the Green.  Positives:  

nice neck - chunkyish but not extreme
    v stable tuning straight out of the box, even with whammy bar use
    v light

very middy tone which is fantastic when through an overdriven amp

negatives: - the clean tone is very middy and sounds...unusual. I need to work on getting cleans that I like as much as the driven tone. 

@nomad - what do you think about the cleans?

overall - not a one trick pony at all and worth considering, as long as it isn't in red

I like the cleans, although I'd admit that I haven't been using a clean sound much recently. I wouldn't say they're particularly Fendery cleans (if that's what people expect), but they are certainly single-coily tones in any case. If anything, the bridge pickup on its own is quite similar to a Tele bridge sound, but the rest are more this guitar in and of itself. The two 'adjacent pickup out of phase' sounds are pretty sharp and harsh, and I never rally use them either clean or overdriven, but I do use all of the other combinations.

Some of the single-pickup or in-phase clean tones remind me of some jazzy single coil sounds (eg, Stanley Jordan). Very clear note definition and a nice, balanced tone. Bridge and neck out of phase is good for funky chaka-chaka stuff, and all pickups on with any one out of phase gives varying flavours of the same sort of thing. The two 'humbucker' sounds aren't terribly humbuckery to me - they're certainly thicker sounding than the other settings, but nowhere near as thick and creamy as the Lemon Drop. Good for clean leads with more body to them, but still with a bit of twangy top end.

While I really like the range of tonal options, I would say that, in use, in anger, the switching system is a bit of a negative - a bit fiddly to use quickly, and the trem arm can get in the way. It's not complicated to use once the system is understood (for the most part, you can switch between two sounds by flicking one switch, or doing a 'double-flick' to switch two with one motion), but I'd say it's probably easier to just pick a setting and use that, and plan when to change to a different setting should a change be needed. With normal toggle switch setups, it's much easier to change on the fly and keep track of where things are at. I changed the knobs to speed knobs, and find them far easier to use - far more inclined to ride the tone and volume on the fly now.

It's perfectly okay to play a red one provided you aren't wearing a Brian May wig.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2168
    Currently I'm pretty much exclusively playing this. Although I think that may be something to do with my recently acquired Two Rock. I've been lawyering it up a bit lately.

My Les Paul Custom hasn't had a sniff recently.

My Suhr Modern Antique has had not much love recently either.

My PRS Custom 24. Well. I'll never part with it, as it was my first high end guitar I ever got. Sadly it's all but retired nowadays. It still plays and sounds pretty wonderful though. Bought it new probably nearly 10 years ago or something.

I really must get some new family pictures.

I've just realised I've got 4 different full rigs. Jesus...
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22944
    That is a fabulous looking relic Strat.  Black with a maple neck is such a great combination.

• NerineNerine Frets: 2168
    Philly_Q;525259" said:
    That is a fabulous looking relic Strat.  Black with a maple neck is such a great combination.
    I usually don't like black as a colour for cars, guitars, clothes, whatever.
    But on a beat up Strat or black LPC, it looks good. Think they're about the only things that look nice in black.
    It can't be shiny though. Has to be an older style nitro finish :)
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2597
    edited February 2015
    Somewhat surprisingly, my Suhr Pro Series.  It probably has the least "mojo" of any of my guitars, but it's the best tool for the current job, edging out my Gibsons (because I'm using a trem on a couple of songs), DGT (the Suhr is lighter) and Suhr Classic (I'm doing a fair bit of bending and I prefer the jumbo frets on the Pro series to the heavy frets on the Classic).   It shows how things can change because I was thinking of selling it not so long ago and is now getting played in preference to "better" guitars.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • celentiumcelentium Frets: 356
    edited February 2015
    I love the Feline's, beautiful guitars. On the other side of the spectrum, that relic strat is badass!

Well here is my one and only squeeze:

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Jim Bean, damn that's a lovely bottle!
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Sassafras;526249" said:
    Makers Mark or Wild Turkey is FTW. Without getting further into bourbon cork sniffery.

BTW, Aldi, Jim Beam, £12.99, just sayin'...
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."

• jd0272 said:
    Sassafras;526249" said:
    Makers Mark or Wild Turkey is FTW. Without getting further into bourbon cork sniffery.

BTW, Aldi, Jim Beam, £12.99, just sayin'...
    Wild Turkey. Sounds tasty, I'll try it.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Loving this at the moment. It's a darkback Gibson R7 Goldtop that was, until recently, owned, played, recorded and gigged by Bernie Marsden. He's banged it about a bit and the neck is a proper old school baseball bat. But man, it's an inspiring guitar to play. It practically plays 'Here I go again' on its own.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • nickp said:
    imageth

this - I like the Green.  Positives:  

I can see why. That looks waaay better in green than red, to me.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Phwoar. I want a Jaden rose @digitalscream, it looks like he doesn't do series two anymore :(
  • Phwoar. I want a Jaden rose @digitalscream, it looks like he doesn't do series two anymore :(
    There's an Original Series in the Classifieds for £1100 - much as I love my S2, I'd always pick an OS over one. That said, my S2 feels pretty unique; there's just something ever-so-slightly different about the neck profile that I absolutely love...although the Tele is definitely my favourite right now.

Oh, and the Series 2 is - to my knowledge - making a comeback soon, in a slightly modified form. Watch this space etc :)
    <space for hire>