Bigsbys are naff

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    So let me get this straight, bigsbys are great as long as you don't actually use them?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27238
    jaygtr said:
    So let me get this straight, bigsbys are great as long as you don't actually use them?

Nah, they're great as long as you set them up right, just the same as a Floyd or Strat trem.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    'ave a wisdom
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    jaygtr said:

Nah, they're great as long as you set them up right, just the same as a Floyd or Strat trem.
    Well, for what it's worth, I LOVE the look of Bigsbys, I LOVE the concept of Bigsbys but I HATE the hassle of them.  It's OK at home where you can re-tune between each number but it is an unwanted distraction in a live gig.  
    You'll have to trust me that the one I used was set up perfectly - locking tuners, roller bridge, lubricated nut, etc, etc..  The only way I could get it to hold tune (on a guitar that ALWAYS holds tune and does again now I've taken it off) was by upping the strings 2 gauges - but again, too much of a distraction.

I still love them and fully understand people who have them, but I wouldn't want another one on my own guitars.

For absolute tuning stability - and easy to set up once you've got your head around how to do it - is a Floyd
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I wisdomed the OP 'cos I think Bigsbys ARE naff. Fugly 'orrible fings.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    I love bigsbys. They look the bees plumbs and work a treat. Any monkey can dive bomb on a locked floyd, a bigsby needs to be played

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Col_Decker;51191" said:
    I love bigsbys. They look the bees plumbs and work a treat. Any monkey can dive bomb on a locked floyd, a bigsby needs to be played
    I completely disagree with this - floyds and locking trems have so much movement, it's easy to sound bad. Getting accurate pitch changes, subtle wobbles and bringing a note up by a major third accurately takes a great deal of skill.

When set up right, any idiot can make a bigsby sound great. Like I said, my mates one never goes out of tune. He only uses 11 gauge strings in standard and doesn't use a roller nut or bridge, which caused more problems than it fixed...

The other one is the jazzmaster trem. I love this one. Dead easy to set up, holds tune perfectly, even when going nuts on it - and sounds musical regardless of what you do.
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188

yeah, and so's your face

;)

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• Col_Decker;51347" said:
    yeah, and so's your face  ;)
    My face is beautiful.

LOL not really.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Bigsby are great.

on someones elses guitar

:P

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    edited October 2013
    Bucket said:
    ddlooping said:
    But it plays like butter. :)
    I'd rather gorge myself on said butter until my heart explodes than be seen on stage with it though...

I'd have to counsel against this as you might end up looking like me and that's not a place you want to end up....