Dave Clarke Five Documentary BBC 2

What's Hot
SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
edited February 2015 in Music
I only managed 30 minutes. Seems hard to imagine that the Dave Clarke Five were that big....even from a USA perspective. The talking heads were saying: "Yeah...it was The Beatles, The Stones....and The Dave Clarke Five."

In my own personal rankings the Kinks would be 20 places above the Dave Clarke Five (never mind The Who).
Maybe it was Parody?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I watched it.. crazy scenes in the US. Bruce and Tom Hanks are big fans it seems. It looks as though they've been edited out of our musical history.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I can attest to their popularity in Canada.  Around 1964-65 was the height of the so called "British Invasion", also included were Hermans Hermits, The Animals, The Kinks and numerous one hit wonders.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I was going to mention Herman's Hermits, there was a doc on them a while ago and it was amazing how big they once where. I think everyone assumed a pop career could only last a few years tops so they all found other things to do.
    I have an old friend called Dave Clarke. He really, really hated the DC5 although probably he should blame his parents rather than the band.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5002
    The Kinks came a cropper after a run in with someone in and got blacklisted in the States I seem to recall.
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    I read a book ages ago by a guy who'd roadied for Fleetwood Mac in the PG days and then set up his own PA company in the US. He mentions doing a Kinks tour in the 70's and what a bunch of cnuts they were. He absolutely hated them.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11305
    I used to work with two people called Dave Clark. If I had a penny for every time I heard "where are the other three?" I would have about 35p.

The thing about the DC5 was that although he had a great business brain, without Mike Smith they would never have got off the pub and club circuit.