Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

So these 2015 Gibsons with that logo....

What's Hot

Comments

• The 12th fret inlays of the 2014 models were worse
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72447
    The 12th fret inlays of the 2014 models were worse
    Oddly enough this "feature" had completely passed me by until you mentioned it, but now I've seen it you're right. Not as easy to fix as the 2015 headstock either.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• It's amazing how cheap and tacky the 120th inlay is. What were they thinking?

I guess the 2015 changes indicate they don't really think things through...
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader

They're hideous. I wouldn't buy one, especially as there are always loads of alternatives.

Come on, we all care what our guitars look like. Even those putting tape over logos are making an aesthetic choice and a statement.

• hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    The shaky logo is just for this year, or that's what I thought anyway.

I don't understand why loads of people have a problem with the tuners either.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• It would be a terrible dilemma if someone tried one, and it was magically good - one of those astounding guitars that's just better than any other...

... But the headstock was putting you off. Not saying that's wrong or anything, but it would be a tough choice.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72447
    It shouldn't cost more than about £50 to have a luthier refinish the front of the head and add the proper decal, which is easily obtainable on Ebay. The hologram thing looks like it should be fairly easy to remove as well.

I don't do finish work, but I can recommend someone who does. However I am available for machinehead replacement, nut replacement, removing mini-switches and adding missing pots, active circuit removal and proper fitting of pickguards. Just saying ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • For me, all this proves is just how divisive Gibson has become as a brand lately. They're now even causing rows amongst their supporters!!

I've never felt that strongly either way about them (except for a natural ES335), and the new logo doesn't wind me up in any way either, but these recent changes really seem to have boiled the piss of more people than virtually anything they've done in years.

It seems odd to me that a company with such an iconic history would behave like that towards their customer base.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    Isn't the hologram a security thing, and wouldn't removing it make the guitar look dodgy?

Genuine question.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• hobbio;525572" said:
    Isn't the hologram a security thing, and wouldn't removing it make the guitar look dodgy?

Genuine question.
    Doesn't matter if you don't want to sell it.

Which if it's a great guitar, you won't.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11459
    I've said this in other threads before, but the more I see of the different models I think  it's deliberate in an attempt to sell more Custom Shop guitars.

Fundamentally the design and construction of a Custom Shop guitar is similar to a normal factory ones.  There may be a few tweaks and refinements but their profit margin on a Custom shop guitar is going to be a lot higher on a Custom Shop guitar than on a normal factory one.  If there is no decent spec conventional Les Paul from the factory then the people who want that will buy a Custom Shop model, and Gibson will probably make $500 more per instrument in profit.
  • It would be a terrible dilemma if someone tried one, and it was magically good - one of those astounding guitars that's just better than any other...

... But the headstock was putting you off. Not saying that's wrong or anything, but it would be a tough choice.

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    rlw said:

It's like when Porsche went water cooled for the 996 - it's change, it's progress,

...yeah = that looked silly too!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/61/Cars_movie's_car.jpg/1024px-Cars_movie's_car.jpg
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

I used to have a 928 S2!
    And you know what else? Those safety lids on bottles of sanatogen. There I am trying to get the lid off and along comes my six year old and says "there you are daddy" and it's off in a Jiffy. Someone's gonna get hurt.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11879
    edited February 2015
    crunchman said:
    I've said this in other threads before, but the more I see of the different models I think  it's deliberate in an attempt to sell more Custom Shop guitars.

Fundamentally the design and construction of a Custom Shop guitar is similar to a normal factory ones.  There may be a few tweaks and refinements but their profit margin on a Custom shop guitar is going to be a lot higher on a Custom Shop guitar than on a normal factory one.  If there is no decent spec conventional Les Paul from the factory then the people who want that will buy a Custom Shop model, and Gibson will probably make $500 more per instrument in profit.

Well, a normal Standard now is like £2500 ? With some USA model (Premium Quilt) is listed at £3200 at GuitarGuitar !!!

Andertons has the 2015 R8 with nice tops, as opposed to plain for £3300.

I know which one I'd get.  I mean if you are thinking of modding a £2500 standard, by the time you finished, you might as well get an R8.

Or you can get a Custom Shop Class 5 for £2,800-3,000 in a few places still.

• I played a couple of the 2015 les pauls at guitarguitar on hagley road yesterday and i enjoyed the new necks. felt similar to the PRS neck i had on my singlecut trem.

• jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    I just wouldn't buy a Gibson again unless it was used. Henry Jusckievicz is a nasty idiot who thinks he's Steve Jobs running Apple. Robot tuners? I'll stick to my Dentist guitars thankyou.
  • jeztone2 said:
     Henry Jusckievicz is a nasty idiot

Weird hair style as well...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14045539

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31620
    We Gibson owners, if we're totally honest with ourselves have always been happy to spend a few extra hundred quid for a logo, so you'd think marketing rule number one would be; Don't @#*% with the logo!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4711
    Wulfhere said:
    Look at what 993s are going for compared to the newer 996

I used to have a 928 S2!
    And would you want to drive a 993 every day - no.
    And my 996GT3 sold for rather more than I paid too.............

The world is full of luddites.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.