Suggestions on learning material

Hey guys,

Looking for some advice on some goods books/dvd's/websites that I can use to improve my playing. Not sure if this should be in the theory or technique section, so I've posted in both! Mods please feel free to remove from wrong forum if it's causing an issue.

I'm self-taught, and been playing for around 20 years now (god, really???) and I've never had a proper lesson at all. I learned using guitar tab, and I've muddled my way through various bands with this and playing by ear.

I'm eventually starting to learn the notes on the fretboard, but I don't know any scales etc.

So I'm looking for something that isn't too "beginner" I guess, but happy to put the leg-work in on some simpler stuff that will ultimately make me a better and more knowledgeable player

What can you all recommend?

Cheers

Keir 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    If you're already playing in bands, then I'm guessing you have sussed out the technique bit. Since you're learning mostly from tab and by ear, I recommend learning the theory behind the music. With this knowledge, you'll know why you can play the notes that you play and also gives you the power to depart from the notes in tab.

I suggest starting with the C-major scale in one position over 2 octaves. move this around to all 12 keys, when you're ready.

At the same time as when you're learning scales, with the knowledge of all the notes in the C-major scale (C,D,E,F,G,A,B), learn the theory behind creating chords and progressions.

I hope the sequence of the suggested videos make sense. I recommend Karen Ramirez if you want to learn some theory, she's great and I got very far with the knowledge she imparted.
  • kinkin Frets: 1015
    Thanks for that @Branshen , I've been trying to get a grip of some theory for a while , those two videos are very helpful.  
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    @kin there are loads more on her channel. If you have anything else you wanna know, create a thread or just drop me a PM. I'll help if I can.
  • kinkin Frets: 1015
    @Branshen, cheers, I'll have a good look at her other videos first, see if I can get some of it to stick. Thanks for your kind offer of help.
  • Learning the notes on the fretboard or how to find a specific note along it isn't that difficult as it follows a system. I don't have time now but I'll either post a link or type out how I started learning it. Not as daunting as you might think
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    I was reading or hearing somewhere that picturing the frets in your head was a good learning tool.  Working out something in your head and then playing it in your head on the fretboard as pictured in your head.  Hearing the notes from the frets in your head being the next step.  I don't know if it was on here as I can't remember.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock