Gibson Les Paul, Grail hunt.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24812
    edited February 2015
    simonk;529577" said:
    Or... You could try a PRS Stripped 58 or SC245. I love my Les Pauls, but my Stripped 58 is one sorted guitar.
    If you can bear to buy one that isn't a Gibson - the Stripped 58 is fantastic.

Stunning build, great necks - really playable guitars and they have the highly desirable 57/08 pick-ups.

I'm not a fan of single-cut guitars generally - but if I were in the market for one, this would be what i'd probably buy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • +1 for @jookychap. Don't worry about model lines, they're all mahogany and maple with humbuckers. Just play everything from lpj and up in a shop and you'll hopefully find one that's really very good indeed. The flamboyance of the top has nothing to do with how it plays or sounds. The historical accuracy might not improve anything over a studio model.

It's not necessarily a qc thing - I'd do this for any guitar. If you play a whole bunch, you'll pick up one that just works for you.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    ThePrettyDamned;529996" said:
    +1 for @jookychap. Don't worry about model lines, they're all mahogany and maple with humbuckers. Just play everything from lpj and up in a shop and you'll hopefully find one that's really very good indeed. The flamboyance of the top has nothing to do with how it plays or sounds. The historical accuracy might not improve anything over a studio model.

It's not necessarily a qc thing - I'd do this for any guitar. If you play a whole bunch, you'll pick up one that just works for you.
    Exactly, I've 2 LPs, an LPJ goldtop and a vermillion, price wise there's about £1500 between them but honestly they both play and sound as good as each other, though the sounds are different, neither is worse.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3625
    Wolfetone said:
    Neil said:
    Perhaps you will just prefer the Epi to any Gibson?

Either way you will have to trawl around trying lots of stuff, no good just ordering sight unseen.
    The best playing guitar I have ever owned was an Epiphone LP Custom. I have had many Gibsons through my hands but the white Epi Custom was unbelievable. The guy I sold it to stripped it down to natural wood and it looks fantastic and still plays as well as it ever did.

Advice - Don't allow brand snobbishness to cloud your judgement. Let the sound and feel dictate your choice.
    Advice - Don't sell the best playing guitar you have ever owned.
    ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom