The Green God

scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11354
This chap:

has posted some live audio of Peter Green playing with John Mayall

I haven't heard anything this exciting in years. Mayall used to tape his live gigs, so it's fairly lo-fi, but the amazing musical quality more than makes up for any loss od audio fidelity.

This is just fantastic stuff, a huge talent that sadly was lost. At least we have stuff like this.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Thanks for this. It's been ages since I listened to any Bluesbreakers stuff, I'd forgotten why people got so excited about about those first "guitar heroes" meedling away for hours with their Les Pauls and Marshalls. A wonderful reminder. Great playing, great tone.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    What I love about Greeny is if I actually sit down and try to work out what he's doing, a lot of it doesn't use that many notes, and he's not flying up and down the fretboard.

Instead he's got the authority in his playing and a fabulous sense of timing in each phrase.

He reminds me a bit of those actors who might not have that many lines but who know it's the total package of tone, gesture and expressions that matters most.
  • Peter Green has always been the most 'elegant' blues player to me. There is something very beautiful about his playing.

I said this in another thread a while ago - I watched a documentary about him and his come back (late '90s IIRC). At the end it showed him playing on stage again and I cried for the talent that had gone. I had hoped I might shed a tear of joy at hearing him again....
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Wow - this is sensational. The discovery of the year so far. (thanks scrumhalf).
    I love everything about it. But most of all I love the tone.
    Is he switching between both pickups and Bridge pickup when soloing?   :)

imageimage