The Divine Comedy

BucketBucket Frets: 7751
edited February 2015 in Music
My dad has their best-of CD, and I used to listen to it the whole time when I was very young - perhaps six or seven, because it was there and I'd pretty much listen to anything with a nice melody at that age. A week or two ago though, I heard the CD for literally the first time in twelve or thirteen years, and I was just blown away by how good it was. It's such fantastic music, really interesting, well-written, catchy, well-arranged and sounds brilliant, the lyrics are great and it just has a really cool vibe to it. I think it's my love of Jellyfish that draws me in, because a lot of this sounds along the same lines, albeit with a different atmosphere.

"National Express" is their most famous one I suppose, and I like it, but not as much as I like these:

This was originally written as the Father Ted theme, does make a cracking song too.

This'll be stuck in my head for days:

This is inspired, really like the more melodic bit from 3:00 as well:

This is the best thing they've done though, IMO. The arrangements are just ridiculous, it sounds incredible. Lovely melodies too, and the creepy orchestral bit with the spoken-word thing at the end is spine-chilling.

Any fans? Have I made fans of anyone by posting these?
- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Fantastic Band/Artist Neil Hannon, catchy songwriting, the lot. Great taste @Bucket

I'll post the obvious song, but it's still a classic.

More recently, this one.

I love the Guitar playing in this and just about everything I've heard from them.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited February 2015
    Great band .. this is one of my favourites ... great lyrics ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2028
    edited February 2015
    Being a local lad, I've followed him since before he appeared on TOTP with Something For the Weekend.

One of the best gigs I've been to was him and a full band in a small venue in Belfast.

I love him / them - great lyrics (one of the best, in my view) and great music. What's not to like.

Catchy as feck too!

Here's one of my favourites