Hughes Kettner Tubemiester 36

What's Hot
HI all,

A while back I posted a question about this amp and whether it could be used successfully at a gig.

I've learned a lot since making that post and I realise I didn't really ask the question right :)

So, is anyone here using a Tubemeister 36 happily as a gigging amp?

Here's how I hope to use it.

Our usual venue will be village hall/rugby club type sized venues.

I'd rather not put the amp thru the PA. I'd rather it does the job on it's own.

I tend to play clean for about 50% of the time. I say this because generally I've heard that amps can cut it on the dirty channel but struggle to get the head room on the clean channel. I wonder if this is the same with the TM 36.

I'm not sure this makes much different but we play covers. Mainly 70's and 80's rock.

Also the drummer uses and electric kit rather than an acoustic kit.

Thanks
Mike

PS: I'm still learning so if there is a question I should have asked or a fact I should have shared, please let me know. Ta :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3340
    edited March 2015
    I had one for a couple of years. They're good and definitely loud enough for gigs with enough clean headroom too.

The overdrive is difficult to dial in as the EQ controls work in an odd way. The clean, however, is good and takes pedals really well. I stayed on that channel and preferred my OD pedals instead. As the rest of the amp/channels was becoming redundant, I decided to swap it for a Fender Deluxe Reverb - my favorite amp of all time.

There have been some threads on this amp in the past. I'll try and find them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • phase3phase3 Frets: 41
    Pretty much same here....
    Used a Grandmeister 36 ( similar output stage etc) for a while. No real problem with volume and generally enough clean headroom. However, the OD sound is very H&K ...very similar to switchblade...nearly there but irritatingly not near enough. No 'real' body. Tried it on various cabs and speaker mixes....always pretty happy with the clean but never got the OD right....so used pedals.....then got rid, went to a Mesa electrodyne for big gigs & blues deville for smaller stuff.  
  • Thanks Guys. I appreciate the feedack.

Now I'm beginning to worry if anyone likes these amps on OD.

Maybe it's a question of the sound in your head.

As my avatar suggests, I'm a big Rush fan so maybe I'll like these?

I'm going to have to find somewhere nearby where I can listen to one.

• thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2339
    Get a Hughes kettner statesman. Is not a million miles off the tube meister but has a superb dirt channel as well. They are also very much cheaper used but much better Imo.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17812
    tFB Trader
    If you are just going to use the clean channel the H&K Puretone is an awesome sounding amp.