Kemper + Headphones vs. POD V2 + Headphones

What's Hot
cgumtreecgumtree Frets: 35
I've been toying with the idea of getting a Kemper to use with headphones as a quiet practice tool. 

Over the weekend I dug out my old POD V2 to remind myself what playing through headphones sounds and feels like and I was a bit disappointed. The higher gain tones were ok, but most of the other amp models felt a bit flat and lifeless and lacking sustain.

I realise my POD is now 15 + years old. My question is, has technology evolved to a point where I'd get a better headphones sound from something like the Kemper, or is playing through headphones never going to be as satisfying as playing through an amp?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2380
    Kemper through headphones sounds good, but you need to add "space" to help add some life (that whole 'in the room' thing), especially to clean profiles.

I mainly use mine at home with headphones, obviously not as much fun as cranking it up through the FRFR speaker I have, but it does the job :)
  • markblackmarkblack Frets: 1593
    all I do is play through headphones, I had a 'Kemper' moment after I thought my THR10 wasn't cutting it. So I ended up with a THR10C and for me it's more what I was after, I play blues, rock (not very well).

I just thought for headphone use the Kemper would be massive overkill. I have a POD XT and Korg Pandora, both pretty old. And the THR10 was very good, probably more versatile if you play lots of different styles. But the THR10C is bang on for me.

Have a pair of AKG 550 to listen to it all.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28348
    Don't forget that amazing headphones give a much better result.
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    I don't get on with Pod stuff through headphones either: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/29820/pod-for-headphone-practice-problems ;

From what I heard said on here as well as elsewhere, one needs to look at all the different components: headphones, the modeller, the patches, and probably a dedicated headphone amp or mixer. That adds up to an expensive setup. I'm awaiting experiences with the Amplifire (hype of the month at TGP), hoping that I might be able to build a headphone practice setup around that.

• cgumtreecgumtree Frets: 35
    @markblack - yeah, I wonder if the Kemper would be massive overkill. I've not tried the Yamaha THR range, but I will before spending any ££.

@axisus - might be part of my problem. My headphones aren't high end, probably cost no more than £50. I have a couple of different pairs (Sony and Sennheiser, both cost about the same). I only tried the Sony pair, but will give the Sennheiser's a try too.

@npp - Amplifire looks interesting, and headphone amp is a good suggestion. You're right - it could end up being an expensive practice rig, though!
    I'm sure a kemper is amazing, but the THR's are great for late night practice tools. And a decent set of headphones makes all the difference. The THR10 was great, but I wanted more vintage tones so I bought a THR10C, about the same price of a high end pedal. 

I really like the AKG K550's get a great reviews. And I have a set of german maestro gmp 8.35 d which are really good. all around the £100 mark.

it's slightly ironic that modelling is always presented as the more convenient, cost-effective option but by the time you have a setup that can do what a bog-standard valve amp in the corner of a room does you have spent hundreds more on additional gear, are sitting in a snake's nest of cables and have wasted hours on fiddling with menus. 

Still, sometimes silent practice is a must and I'm encouraged by the approach behind the Amplifire which seems to focus on making a few amp models sound good out of the box rather than on endless effects. If I hear enough positive feedback about this unit or any other, similar once, I'll start building a proper headphone practice rig around it.

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22394
    NPP said:
    it's slightly ironic that modelling is always presented as the more convenient, cost-effective option but by the time you have a setup that can do what a bog-standard valve amp in the corner of a room does you have spent hundreds more on additional gear, are sitting in a snake's nest of cables and have wasted hours on fiddling with menus. 

But that's not comparing like for like. A 'bog standard valve amp' has one amp sound. The Kemper has many. How many bog standard valve amps would you need to get those same tones the Kemper gets? Loads. 

These things are not menu heavy or difficult and far preferable to, say, pissing about pulling the chassis out of an AC30 when the valves need changing. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    The Amplifire seems interesting the couple of demos I watched didn't grab me, I agree the less is more is better. That's why I do like the THR10C as it's very focused, yes it has a couple of effects, but not banks and banks of them. Just enough to make it a self contained practice unit.

At the moment the THR10's are around £220, it will be interesting seeing how much the Amplifire will be. Introductory price of $600? It's dose seem to offer a lot more as far as inputs / outputs, midi etc. But not what I personally need in a practice set up.

be intresting to see what people think of the Amplifire and the BluGuitar Amp1?
    @Heartfeltdawn of course you are completely right, it's just the question of what a particular player wants. 

What I want is one or two really well done amp models, including power amp and speaker emulation. What you can buy is units that offer dozens of crap amp models with dozens of effects for the price of a pedal, or dozens of so-so amps and effects for the price of a valve amp, or dozens of excellent amps and effects for the price of a boutique amp. I'm not saying the Kempers and AxeFXs aren't worth their money to those who actually make use of their features, but they're not really what I'm after. 

I wouldn't make use of their features, and the quality of my playing wouldn't justify the expense, so I'm looking for something in between - good quality, few features. 

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22394
    NPP said:
    @Heartfeltdawn of course you are completely right, it's just the question of what a particular player wants. 

What I want is one or two really well done amp models, including power amp and speaker emulation. What you can buy is units that offer dozens of crap amp models with dozens of effects for the price of a pedal, or dozens of so-so amps and effects for the price of a valve amp, or dozens of excellent amps and effects for the price of a boutique amp. I'm not saying the Kempers and AxeFXs aren't worth their money to those who actually make use of their features, but they're not really what I'm after. 

I wouldn't make use of their features, and the quality of my playing wouldn't justify the expense, so I'm looking for something in between - good quality, few features. 

If it's for home use, one or two amps etc for practice, then that says 'buy a decent audio interface and a plugin like S-Gear'. £100 for a decent little interface, £100 for S-Gear. The amp modelling on that is excellent, it's very simple to use, and it's not grossly expensive. 

• FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited March 2015
    The Audio Technica ATH-M50x studio monitor headphones can be had for just under £100. They have a good reputation with a flat response covering the 15 - 28,000 Hz frequence range. I have the previous model and they are great for tracking.

I am using an SPL Crimson interface which has an excellent instrument DI and it really brings out the best in my software modellers (Amplitube, Bias, Revalver). It might be a bit OTT for the casual user, but I did buy it to capture my vintage analogue synths and vocals which it does admirably. Not too expensive either @ £350. It is also a good choice to use with a Kemper as it has coax SPDIF i/o which makes reamping a simple task.

If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.