Piezo Equipped Hybrid guitars?

What's Hot
welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1818
Apart from the gorgeous PRS P22 in the classifieds which is haunting my every awake moment, what other options are out there for a decent electric that has a Piezo bridge? I've just joined a busy Fleetwood Mac tribute and need something that can blend leccy and acoustic sounds. And f*** me! Buckingham is bit of a monster!!!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72660
    For that band you probably need a Les Paul Custom fitted with a piezo bridge... probably the easiest way to get most of his sounds from one guitar.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 616

Some nice EB Musicmans have the piezo... some gorgeous Axis Supersports & John Petruccis have them.

I have a cheap & cheerful Peavey Generation EXP with ACM acoustic (Tele shape) that does the same thing without spending a fortune. Play humbuckers/acoustic emulation or blend a mix of the two. Sounds decent enough to me.

Think there are some tasty Godins about too though know nothing about them

Cheers Baz

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750

ICBM said:
    For that band you probably need a Les Paul Custom fitted with a piezo bridge... probably the easiest way to get most of his sounds from one guitar.
    +1

The other option is to fit a graphtech ghost (or similar) system - I put one in a prs and it works great - it would open the option to use one of your exisiting guitars and not be tied into looking at a limited selection that have them pre installed.
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1818
    edited October 2013
    Ah ok, cheers guys.. @icbm, is that a do-able on a LP without major surgery? Could do it to my R7, but wouldn't want to butcher it.. @bazxkr, that Peavey looks ok, will keep an eye out for one. Not sure either about Godin's as there seems to be a cheapo version and an expensive version.. But no real explanation of what is what
    welshboyo said:
    Ah ok, cheers guys.. @icbm, is that a do-able on a LP without major surgery? Could do it to my R7, but wouldn't want to butcher it.. @bazxkr, that Peavey looks ok, will keep an eye out for one. Not sure either about Godin's as there seems to be a cheapo version and an expensive version.. But no real explanation of what is what
    Installation is pretty straight forward but there are two issues to sort - running the cables from the bridge to the control cavity and the switching/volume.    I ran the cable under the edge of the pickup mount to save drilling but there are more elegant solutions.  I don't have an acoustic volume on mine (it has a mini pot on the preamp circuit) I just have a switch but you could sacrifice one of the tone controls on a Les Paul to act as a switch and volume - when I get around to fitting one to the tremonti I'll do it that way.
    @John_P awesome mate, liking that idea, how did you do it on a PRS, my CU22 could be a donor!!

welshboyo said:
    @John_P awesome mate, liking that idea, how did you do it on a PRS, my CU22 could be a donor!!
    I ordered them direct - as I couldn't find a uk dealer (that might have changed).   I replaced the bridge saddles and there's just enough space in the cavity for the circuit board and battery. 
    The wiring is easy enough as the cables just clip into place on the preamp board. You could swap the tone control for a push/pull pot to switch it but that won't allow a mix of tones - I ended up adding a mini toggle to give the blend option as well. 
    There is the option to leave the acoustic volume preset or add a volume pot but on a Cu22 that would mean adding another pot or losing the tone control.
    The package came with a stereo socket so you can split the output to seperate amps via a Y cable but I usually just use a regular mono lead - through a lot of guitar amps that doesn't sound anywhere near as good though.   I often gig a fender twin and it works better than most amps so you might want to think about how you'll amplify the acoustic sounds...
    Years ago I use an x3live and had two inputs and outputs which was nice.
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2366
    This will do exactly what you need, and more, at a pretty sweet price. Has synth access as well, which you don't have to use of course - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281184086271?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
    StefB said:
    This will do exactly what you need, and more, at a pretty sweet price. Has synth access as well, which you don't have to use of course - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281184086271?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
    Is that yours @stefB?
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 616

StefB has a good point... a Roland strat (if you are a strat player) through a Roland GR20 or the like will give you from nylon classical right up to 12 string options (plus piano, organ, saxophone & the whole synth works).

This guy gives a good insight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVwM-3Duy8U

I assume you are in Wales ? So far away or you could have tried the Peavey & the Strat/Roland set up as I have them all here

Here is a good demo on piezo on EBMM JP6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqnymSwExzU

Fun hunting down new toys isn't it

Cheers Baz

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2366
    welshboyo said:
    StefB said:
    Is that yours @stefB?

No, but I'm watching it on eBay so thought I'd suggest it. I have three piezo equipped MusicMan guitars - a Silhouette Special, Albert Lee and an Axis SuperSport P90. Can't recommend them highly enough, but they are quite a bit dearer than the Godin and aren't for everyone due to their diminutive size and fairly narrow neck widths.
    @stefB, my main squeeze is an LIII so I know what they are about:-) just spotted a piezo equipped Axis on gumshite...
    StefB said:
    No, but I'm watching it on eBay so thought I'd suggest it. I have three piezo equipped MusicMan guitars - a Silhouette Special, Albert Lee and an Axis SuperSport P90. Can't recommend them highly enough, but they are quite a bit dearer than the Godin and aren't for everyone due to their diminutive size and fairly narrow neck widths.
    It goes both ways though... I really hate the necks on those Godins - much prefer the MusicMan necks.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RichRich Frets: 18
    Italia Mondial? Great video demo of that one here:
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4993
    welshboyo said:
    Apart from the gorgeous PRS P22 in the classifieds which is haunting my every awake moment, what other options are out there for a decent electric that has a Piezo bridge? I've just joined a busy Fleetwood Mac tribute and need something that can blend leccy and acoustic sounds. And f*** me! Buckingham is bit of a monster!!!
    It is not cheap solution to your problem my friend but a Tom Anderson fits the bill absolutely.  The problem is that they are addictive, you might end up with more than one!  With the BFTS it plays beautifully in tune.  Not sure who is selling them these days, I got mine from Sounds Great near Manchester.  That is as good a place to start as any, try Charlie Chandler too.....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    For a kings ransom, I could be persuaded to part with my Graphtec-equipped floyd rose Indie Les Paul -sounds just what you're after... (Dig the fancy inlay too...). (And prs pups) http://www.ajrguitarmods.co.uk/indie single cut.htm One of the best necks I've played .... Bloody heavy... Andy
  • Zodiac51Zodiac51 Frets: 340
    Parker Nitefly :)
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7498
    edited October 2013
    Better used, as they're a bargain, but if you consider this new, I reckon a godin might be better...

http://www.andertons.co.uk/solid-body-electric-guitars/pid20451/cid671/epiphone-ultra-iii-les-paul-in-vintage-sunburst.asp

I can vouch for them being decent, but worth a pickup swap. 2 outputs iirc, so you can run it to pa and guitar amp.

It also has a tuner in the pickup ring, something I think is really nifty.
    edited October 2013
    Better used, as they're a bargain, but if you consider this new, I reckon a godin might be better...

http://www.andertons.co.uk/solid-body-electric-guitars/pid20451/cid671/epiphone-ultra-iii-les-paul-in-vintage-sunburst.asp

I can vouch for them being decent, but worth a pickup swap. 2 outputs iirc, so you can run it to pa and guitar amp.

It also has a tuner in the pickup ring, something I think is really nifty.
    That looks *very* interesting! Never seen it before.

Edit... aha... yes the acoustic pickup is a magnetic not a piezo - which is a good thing for me. It also comes in colours other than yawnburst - the see-through black in particular looks nice.

Not massively keen on onboard actives though.

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3346
    Ovation vxt, great electric sounds and fantastic acoustic. Really great quality guitar,extremely well made. If I didn't have a bad right shoulder I'd still have mine, it's one of the best guitars I've ever played.