So, who's suffered from the mysterious 'wandering tone phenomena' ?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Apparently you can never here the same thing the same way twice. Your ear will always pick up different things.
    Listening to music before you play can have a weird effect too. 
    We are complicated beings with a lot going on with our ears and the big grey thing in between them 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7345
    edited March 2015
    Bio~Rhythms
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Alas our heads are more like modelling amps than pure valve tone. There is a LOT of processing that goes on between the sound entering you ears and you consciously hearing the modelled results. Your blood pressure, tension in neck and face muscles, mood, etc all can affect what you hear in your head. Plus your brain will highlight things it thinks your mind should be aware of (hearing your baby's crying in the white noise from the shower) and remove other sounds - if it didn't remove sound it would be impossible for you to talk to someone in a busy pub!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    I've just got off the quest for tone bus, It's never ending, it never stops. I just say to myself, why did you buy the last piece of gear! because it sounded fantastic, It hasn't changed, It's as others have said, It's all in my head.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12005
    Sometimes, sitting the same chair, with the same acoustic guitar, it doesn't sound right.
    So, I've assumed it's likely to be human variation from day to day