What has happened to

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4993
English cricket? What has gone wrong with the England team? In case you missed it, England were knocked out of the World Cup earlier today. You guys invented the game so what has happened.....
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    We (as in England) are a bit shit. That's whats happened.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Sport is cyclical, they're a bit shit at the moment, will probably come good in a few years then go shit for a bit again.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• JRLJRL Frets: 16
    lloyd said:
    Sport is cyclical, they're a bit shit at the moment, will probably come good in a few years then go shit for a bit again.
    For England it's more like a very elongated oval - we come good once in a long while, but are mostly shit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Cricket is gay.
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4610
    edited March 2015
    Did they run out of cucumbers for their sandwiches?
    holnrew said:
    Cricket is gay.
    It's all the wood, cupping of balls, googlies and creases I think.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Do people think here cricket is as popular as it was-say- 30 or 40 years ago?

My gut feeling is it's become increasingly niche. I think it's virtually lost as a participant or even spectator sport to a lot of kids at present.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11470
    edited March 2015

Skarloey said:
    Do people think here cricket is as popular as it was-say- 30 or 40 years ago?

My gut feeling is it's become increasingly niche. I think it's virtually lost as a participant or even spectator sport to a lot of kids at present.
    I think it's because it's only on Sky.  You don't get it becoming a big thing like the 2005 Ashes was because the majority of the population can't watch it.

Also, when I grew up I used to spend large chunks of my summer holidays watching the test matches which is what got me into cricket.  Most kids these days don't have the opportunity.  Having said that they probably wouldn't watch the cricket anyway these days as they have so many other options.   There were only 3 channels when I was young, and they didn't transmit all the time.  If they are like my daughters most kids these days will be watching rubbish on Youtube.

I still can't believe how low England have sunk though.  What's really annoying is how they have monkeyed around with the fixtures and given us a non-stop diet of one day games for the last several months and they are still rubbish.  In previous world cups they said it was because we didn't play enough one day cricket.  These days they play loads of it and they are no better.  In fact I think they may be better if they took it a bit less seriously and just went out and had a bit of fun.  They couldn't really be any worse.

At least we didn't lose to Scotland!

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    lloyd;551408" said:
    holnrew said:

Cricket is gay.

have never had my balls cupped so I'm not sure what version of cricket you're playing.
    lloyd;551408" said:
    holnrew said:

Cricket is gay.

have never had my balls cupped so I'm not sure what version of cricket you're playing.
    You must have been doing it wrong, my local priest was a massive cricket fan and taught me a  lot about the game.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    edited March 2015
    @crunchman

Being on Sky doesn't help I guess.

As far as schools' cricket is concerned that's largely the province of the fee charging schools.

It's in the state sector that I fear the cricket authorities have lost so many potential players and fans and of course we're talking about the mass of kids and a far bigger potential talent pool.

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    edited March 2015
    I think cricket is boring, but then I think the same about football and rugby. All ball games are boring in fact, apart from Women's Beach Volleyball, now that does have a certain 'jeu ne c'est quoi" about it which I can't quite put my finger on.

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    ^^I'm sure your fingers are "on it" so to speak Chillster......

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2482
    Cricket is on Sky. Football is on Sky.
    Don't see any lack of interest in Football with my kids.
    Maybe you should be looking at the comparison in salary of Footballists and Cricketists to determine their relative popularity?
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4993
    Is the cricket authority in England aware that as cricket is on Sky, lots of potential players do not get to watch games and thus may be lost to the game? Do they even care?
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum