Marshall JCM800 50 Watt Lead Combo (2x12 - 4212)

LewliganLewligan Frets: 544
Thinking of selling my old Marshall JCM800.
It has the tan/fawn grille and is in good condition for a 30ish year old amp.
Model number is 4212. It's the 2x12 50 watt combo.

My band split recently, and I don't think I'll be playing live again for a while.
So this beast is just sat in my room not getting much use, as it's far too loud for "bedroom levels".
I have another couple of smaller amps that are more suited to my needs at the moment.

Only issue is the reverb.
Pretty sure there is no tank in there.
I use a reverb pedal, so I've never really given it much thought.

Would it be worth buying a new tank and fitting it before moving this on?
Or would the value still be similar?

If it's worth getting the new tank, which one should I go for..?

I was thinking of asking £400 for it. Does that seem like a fair price?
Don't want to stick it up for an unrealistic price, but I recall paying more than that for it.
Hope I didn't get done over ;)

It was serviced towards the end of last year by Roland Lumby, so everything else is working perfectly.
Loads of life left in the tubes, and it sounds the bollocks when you crank it up!
I have the footswitch for it, and also have a spare one that I'd chuck in.

Please shoot me down if I'm being over-optimistic with the price :)
Check out my Fretboard Trading Feedback HERE!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72751
    Lewligan said:
    It has the tan/fawn grille
    No it doesn't.

If you don't believe me, pull the logo away slightly and you'll see a perfect 'negative' Marshall logo in black behind it where the cloth hasn't faded ;).

Lewligan said:
    I was thinking of asking £400 for it. Does that seem like a fair price?
    Yes, without the reverb tank. They usually go for a little more than that.

You should probably move this thread into the Classifieds though, which you can do if you click on the 'Edit' button at the top right.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• LewliganLewligan Frets: 544
    ICBM said:
    Lewligan said:
    It has the tan/fawn grille
    No it doesn't.

If you don't believe me, pull the logo away slightly and you'll see a perfect 'negative' Marshall logo in black behind it where the cloth hasn't faded ;)
    Ahh right, wow... it must have REALLY faded then, as it's pretty much full on 'beige'.
    I'll take your advice tonight when I get in to see if the cloth is still black behind the logo.

Regarding moving the thread, it's not really a 'for sale' thread per se (yet).
    Was just after some advice on the value and whether it'd be worth replacing the tank.

As soon as I have some pics and a concrete price then I'll convert it to a for sale thread :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72751
    Lewligan said:
    Ahh right, wow... it must have REALLY faded then, as it's pretty much full on 'beige'.
    Yes, they really do fade that much!

Sorry, just one of my little pet bits of fun - it's such a popular myth that there are "tan cloth" ones. They were all black originally, but the dye was extremely light-sensitive as it turned out - they later fixed the problem. (If it is one... personally I like the faded look.)

Lewligan said:
    Was just after some advice on the value and whether it'd be worth replacing the tank.
    I'm not sure to be honest, the reverb isn't great on these and a lot of people never use it on a Marshall anyway. It's probably as well not to bother, and let the buyer decide - a new tank isn't expensive.

What year is it by the way? If you don't know, what letter does the serial number contain? There's quite a big difference between the earlier and later versions of the circuit, and some people may pay more for one or the other depending on preference.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• LewliganLewligan Frets: 544
    ICBM said:
    Lewligan said:
    Yes, they really do fade that much!

Sorry, just one of my little pet bits of fun - it's such a popular myth that there are "tan cloth" ones. They were all black originally, but the dye was extremely light-sensitive as it turned out - they later fixed the problem. (If it is one... personally I like the faded look.)
    Ah yes, having had a quick look at the 'proper' fawn cloth, I can now tell the difference.
    Presume the fawn amps were custom orders?

Yes I agree, I love the faded look.
    Guess it's not classic Marshall, but it does it for me :)

ICBM said:
    Lewligan said:
    I'm not sure to be honest, the reverb isn't great on these and a lot of people never use it on a Marshall anyway. It's probably as well not to bother, and let the buyer decide - a new tank isn't expensive.

What year is it by the way? If you don't know, what letter does the serial number contain? There's quite a big difference between the earlier and later versions of the circuit, and some people may pay more for one or the other depending on preference.
    Yes I was under the impression that it may not be too important with this amp.
    Couldn't imagine many people thinking "I'll buy that JCM800 for the reverb" ;)
    But, I'd have happily replaced the tank if a lack of one would seriously hurt the value.

Seems that the correct Accutronics replacement is only about £30, so will just let the next owner decide if they want to bother getting one.

Regarding the year, I'm not 100% sure, but I will have a scan at the serial number when I get in from work.