Martin 000M - worth bothering?

What's Hot
usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
I've seen a Martin 000M - solid spruce top - laminated back and sides (I believe) advertised fairly locally. I know these aren't the full fat, all solid wood Martin's but are they alright? Actually, are they better than alright? I'm tempted to go and find out for myself, but wondered what the general opinion was...?
 so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24807
    I haven't played one but I have played various Taylors with laminated backs and sides and was surprised how good they were.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72376
    Yes, they are better than alright.

I had one of the even cheaper D style ones with the HPL back and sides a while back - it wasn't as good as a D-18, but it was surprisingly close given that it was about a third of the price. I'd probably still have it if I hadn't come across my Gibson.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Cheers. I'll go and have a butchers, tomorrow..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• I've got one. Traded up to it from my 000x. They're lovely, well built guitars.

But buy a long allen key for the truss rod. They like to hide them halfway down the bloody neck!
    Some more about me, my music and my record label: https://www.linkedin.com/pub/luke-crook/22/18/537

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Been for a look. The strings were pretty high. Playing anywhere up the neck was a bit of a no-no.. Sounded quite nice, though. Hell of a difference, when I got home and played my Tanglewood, which plays better,but doesn't sound so good... hmmmm..

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72376
    Martins do generally come with higher actions - they do that on purpose because they sound better. You can usually get them down lower without affecting the tone too badly though -  if not as low as something like a typical Taylor. But Taylors never have that big warm Martin sound.

I would buy for sound and not playability, because you can have playability improved whereas there's not usually much you can do about sound. You get used to a slightly higher action quite easily too, as long as it's not really high.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• That might be well be adjustable with access to a truss rod the right length. It ends up being about 5 inches up from where they usually would be on an acoustic, so it *could* be a simple fix.
    Some more about me, my music and my record label: https://www.linkedin.com/pub/luke-crook/22/18/537

• I've got the dreadnought version DM which I've had since 98. It's been a good solid workhorse that sounds great and plays great. Its taken a few knocks and falls suffering only minor injuries. Definitely worth a look!
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • That might be well be adjustable with access to a truss rod the right length. It ends up being about 5 inches up from where they usually would be on an acoustic, so it *could* be a simple fix.

I used the Allen key bit from my socket set on an extension bar. They are tricky to get to without the right tools though!
    The Swamp City Shakers
    I passed on the one I saw. The bridge,and therefore the action was crazy high. I'll keep an eye out, and see what the next one is like..  My favourite out of every guitar I've ever played (acoustic or electric) is a Martin that belongs to a friend of mine.  The higher end ones are well out of my range, but these ones are affordable to me. I didn't really fancy shelling out that much money, and then have to start doing work on it, in the hope that it would be 'right' for me.

• olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    I found my Sigma was better than the cheaper Martins.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I'm also thinking about Sigma - if I see one, nearby, I'll have a try of those, too..

• GruGru Frets: 339
    I have been considering a Martin 000X1AE and also the OMXAE but the Sigma 000-28v is both cheaper and more woody (looks stunning too). Saying that the Cort L500-O looks wonderful. It's going to be a tough choice.