Old Tone unit thingy

Whilst diving into the depths of my spares box came across this. Its one of those tone modding thingys from the 80's which gave you all the tones you could possibly need. I think it was called the Tone Ranger or Sound Ranger. Befor I spend hours with soldering iron and pick up selector can anyone else remember it and more importantly best guess the wiring diagram?  

www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
    tFB Trader
    There was a passive distortion thing called 'Black Ice' too. Wonder how this sounded. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72660
    I remember them. I think it was called the Tone Ranger, although I could be wrong... there's nothing useful on the net. I think you bought them mail order from an ad in the back of Making Music magazine. I had one in my guitar for a while but I didn't like it really and took it out again quite quickly, although I also can't remember exactly why not. (Come on, it was the 1980s ;).) I don't remember the way it was connected other than the black wire is ground - I'm not sure if that helps or not!

I remember the Black Ice too - it was just two diodes and possibly a cap. It sounded like a very weak fuzz, and although actually quite a cool sound it wasn't very useful since it reduced the volume slightly, as you would expect. I experimented with the idea a bit and found the best results actually came from a single germanium diode.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7165
    I remember these, the guy that made them lived not far from me at the time.