Venice - Please tell me about it (this time of year and other travel stuff)

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11888
    I'm not a drinker, period so that's not a problem for me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FazerFazer Frets: 467
    don't go chasing after any dwarves in red anoraks, it never turns out well
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • A5D5E5A5D5E5 Frets: 307
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys ! Unfortunately a change of heart, plus logistically in terms of flights and airport departures it means I'm going to another city instead, so will notes your ideas down for the next trip. Probably in the autumn when I'll decide where I'll go. As for this weekend, I'm off to Copenhagen to eat some Danish :), nip over to Malmo for some meatballs! Lol
    Both great places.  What you save in travel costs you will spend on beer.

Still, could be worse - Norway where money seems to evaporate.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    Switzerland is worth a visit. Stay in Interlaken and go to Grindenwald. Take a cable car up the Jungfrau and get off, walk about at 8000 feet, marvel at the Eiger and the general awesomeness of the whole place. What a country. Them's proper hills.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4648
    Jungfrau translates to virgin, so your taking a cable car up the virgin. Does that mean hanging off her Tampon?
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    Snap said:
    Switzerland is worth a visit. Stay in Interlaken and go to Grindenwald. Take a cable car up the Jungfrau and get off, walk about at 8000 feet, marvel at the Eiger and the general awesomeness of the whole place. What a country. Them's proper hills.
    Second wisdom today - but isn't it a train which takes you up to the summit of Jungfrau? Or there is one if you stay in/around Lauterbrunnen - worth the trip on that too. 

You can also buy a watch from the world's highest watch shop on Jungfrau - I got a limited edition one only available from that shop - plus there's loads of other stuff to do when you get up top. One of the coolest things I've done - just a shame the weather was horrendous when we went. 
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7810
    Good time of year to visit Venice.
    Make sure to take a boat at night and get to some of the lesser known spots.
    Snap;556698" said:
    Hmm I worked in interlaken for 6 months, never got so fucked up before or since, great place.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7810
    joneve;557068" said:
    Snap said:

Second wisdom today - but isn't it a train which takes you up to the summit of Jungfrau? Or there is one if you stay in/around Lauterbrunnen - worth the trip on that too. 

You can also buy a watch from the world's highest watch shop on Jungfrau - I got a limited edition one only available from that shop - plus there's loads of other stuff to do when you get up top. One of the coolest things I've done - just a shame the weather was horrendous when we went. 
    Yes a train to the joch. Indian restaurant there too.
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys ! Unfortunately a change of heart, plus logistically in terms of flights and airport departures it means I'm going to another city instead, so will notes your ideas down for the next trip. Probably in the autumn when I'll decide where I'll go. As for this weekend, I'm off to Copenhagen to eat some Danish :), nip over to Malmo for some meatballs! Lol
    Just opposite the main train station there is the Anderssen Bakery. They do very good Danishes. Also, my Danish contacts insist to everyone to try the hotdogs when they go, which I will admit are also good.
    imalone said:
    Just opposite the main train station there is the Anderssen Bakery. They do very good Danishes. Also, my Danish contacts insist to everyone to try the hotdogs when they go, which I will admit are also good.
    I'll pick one up on the way to Malmo, just to see the bridge!
    Snap said:
    I will have to remember that, that's something different that i like to do !

I won't lie, I went to Bologna partly for a Spaghetti Bolognese...came to Denmark partly for the Danish lol and if Ikea were close to the centre in Malmo, i'd go in there too ! So buying a swiss watch at the top of the Swiss alps is something I'd do just so because! 
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    Last time I went (Auigust last year, working) we got the cable car up the mountain opposite Jungfrau. GOt off, walked up higher, came round the top, went an sat by a lake having a beer looking out over the Eiger. It was beautilful, loved every minute.

Stayed in LUcerne, nice