Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Want a challenge? Name this amp!

What's Hot

Comments

• ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7484
    edited October 2013
    My sarcasm was aimed more at the thread in general and the unfortunate direction it has gone, not the tone posted. I'm sure I said something about it being subjective and likely better in context... I just don't think it was a representative tone of a fender tweed champ, having owned one briefly (albeit a hand wired clone).

I'm aware of how great single channel amps are - the gh50 is one of my faves, based on a jcm 800 and that only has a single channel with a switchable gain boost. It's got gain for days, and the eq let's you achieve a great range of different tones, mostly tailored to rock, hard rock and metal. But I'd need a clean channel, too :)

How about a new recording? Keep it uncompressed and raw - something that represents the sound of the amp in the room, which is more useful for demo purposes than a close mic'd speaker is (more used for recording) especially in a practice amp like the champ.  Your youtube vid you posted sounds excellent! I don't know why the file posted on here was so far removed from that. 

I don't pretend I'm cool with the tones I like, but at the moment, I own a single channel, single ended el84 amp with an AC30 style preamp circuit and top boost.  It's fantastic for what it does - touch responsive gain and 'that' AC30 tone.  But it's useless for me, I got it when I was more into my funk and such and it was fab for that.  However, it doesn't matter what I do, I always come back to the rawk. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    edited October 2013
    I'm naturally suspicious of anything you need to sign up for sight unseen. 

Unless there is some hidden or future cost involved, why not just post the lessons? If people saw that they were good, they would be more likely to sign up (and maybe even pay) for future offerings.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    Mark's a professional vocal coach by the look of his website.........
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • Also people who say "we", trying to look like a big outfit, when it's a one-person operation.
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    Aw cmon everyone has to start small - maybe there's a couple of folk involved - that seems reasonable to me. To us I mean.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    Out for a kill, guys?
  • ThePrettyDamned;57026" said:
    I need a multi channel. You can't get from crystal clean to bone crushing gain on a volume knob sadly.

Get a Trainwreck 8-)

• ThePrettyDamned;57026" said:
    I need a multi channel. You can't get from crystal clean to bone crushing gain on a volume knob sadly.

Get a Trainwreck 8-)

I wish :( I've never even seen one!

Besides, a 6505+ is cheaper.  I'd need to rehouse it in a head, though... Dang they heavy!
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    I am a bit peeved that I wasted time reading through the thread only to find that the clips have been removed.

So where do I point the finger? At the people who listened to a compressed recording of a small practice amp, and posted their honest opinions on the resulting sound? Or the person who somehow imagined a bunch of experienced listeners would be tricked into thinking it was something different?

I think the 'conceited' observation is pretty accurate. I would respectfully like to add 'slapped arse' to the findings.

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3078

Oh no... I wish I'd clicked on this thread earlier. As Socrates says in Bill and Ted: "The only true wisdom consists of knowing that you know nothing". There are some serious dudes on here. Was this the first shoeing of the new forum?... we need that popcorn munching smilie thing.

That said, I like a bit of single channel action myself.

"A city star won’t shine too far"

•  

That said, I like a bit of single channel action myself.

Pervert!
    :D
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72372
    It wasn't that the tone itself was bad per se - it actually sounded quite like Keef in some ways, so it isn't that surprising to find it was a small Fender - but that it had an odd artificiality about it which to me said 'digital'. If that was caused by the recording and compression rather than by what the amp sounded like it would maybe be an idea not to do that next time - just post the raw clip.

But introducing guitarists to a new way of doing things by mic'ing a small combo?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    ICBM said:

But introducing guitarists to a new way of doing things by mic'ing a small combo?
    It'll never catch on you know.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Trying to turn this into the UK version of TGP, people????

Be nicer.........
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    hywelg said:
    Trying to turn this into the UK version of TGP, people????

Be nicer.........
    +1
  • ICBM;57456" said:
    It wasn't that the tone itself was bad per se - it actually sounded quite like Keef in some ways, so it isn't that surprising to find it was a small Fender - but that it had an odd artificiality about it which to me said 'digital'. If that was caused by the recording and compression rather than by what the amp sounded like it would maybe be an idea not to do that next time - just post the raw clip.
    This.

Didn't mean to come across as rude (fairly certain everything I said was in a friendly way, and justified) - it's a shame the clip has been removed, too. And, as I've said, my sarcasm was aimed more at how the thread wound up, not the clip itself. It's an interesting thread, but without the clip, pretty meaningless...

I wouldn't mind hearing it again to confirm my thoughts, but the clipping sounded very hard to my ears, where a tweed normally sounds very warm, woody and sweet. It's most likely a by product of the recording and post processing rather than the amp itself, which is an interesting thing in itself. I think the YouTube clips posted are a much better representation of the amp, and show the op is a very capable player and good at recording, with a good ear for tone.

Then again, I'm just a tasteless metal head :)
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11451
    If this was recorded with the stock speaker of the the Champ 600 it will sound thin.  That's what the speaker is like - especially when you turn it up.  The clean sounds at lower volumes are lovely though but the 50Hz hum is a bit annoying.

I have briefly put mine through a 1x12 and it sounds a lot bigger and warmer but the 1x12 is 8 Ohms not 4 so I didn't want to risk damage.  Also, my wife lets me keep the Champ 600 in the front room as it is cute.  Can't get away with a 1x12 cab as well.

Keep meaning to drop some money on one of those replacement speakers that Watford Valves sell, but never quite get around to it.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9542
    edited October 2013
    After many years on forums, I personally think that this is the strangest thread I ve ever seen...

I'm genuinely scratching my head here, as to what this was all about...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    fora.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Tag knows.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.