NPD: Rowin LEF-601B Distortion. Wow.

What's Hot
MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
So, I needed another distortion pedal. I've already got a Tube Screamer and SL Drive but needed something more saturated, not just an overdrive.

This was £24 new and to be honest it could be the best distortion pedal I've ever had, and I've been through a few!  Great articulate tone with a nice "squashy" saturation.   Everything from 80's rock / metal (need it for the Bon Jovi in the covers set) to full on modern metal. 

This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2365
    Nice :D I'm guessing it's a riot clone?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    £24 and that rather fetching shade of blue ? Man, I'm in !
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    Yeah, apparently it's based on a Riot.  I've never played a Riot so couldn't tell you how they compare. 

Tried it at band practice last night with a Blues Junior and it's still great.  

contactemea@fender.com 

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    MattFGBI said:
    Yeah, apparently it's based on a Riot.  I've never played a Riot so couldn't tell you how they compare. 

Is the Riot based on another pedal or an original design? 
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4606
    edited March 2015
    I have their phaser. #613. very nice it is too. not quite as deep a sweep as i'd like but for £24 it'll do donkey, it'll do.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2365
    MattFGBI said:

Is the Riot based on another pedal or an original design? 
    From what I heard it was lightly based on a guvnor, but at the same time tweaked a lot away from that, too.

I've never tried the original either, just the cheapo joyo. :))
    Hey Matt. How are you getting on with this dist pedal? Still enjoying it? I'm thinking of picking one up. .
    It's still great. Can't believe how cheap it was. I'd have to spend a lot to get anything better. And even then I'm not sure how much better it would be.

My only criticism is the noise but that could be environmental. It's only noticeable when not playing so not really an issue as I have a gate and will just turn it off when not playing. I guess a few component upgrades or additional shielding may help that.

I'm using it for several songs in the covers set and it works very well. Good with other effects and transparent enough to bring out pickup changes - main guitar is a Charvel with JB / 59 set and coil splits. Also stacks well. I have a tube screamer in front and the SL Drive after and an EP Boost after that. Pretty much everything covered in that set.

Really don't know what else you would buy instead unless you're going to spend silly money.

contactemea@fender.com 

Well that's great because i ordered one yesterday .. glad your liking it, hope i get on well with it too ... cheers mate, rock on tommy!!!
    Yeah let us know what you think of it!

contactemea@fender.com 

Roger that. I was hoping it'd come today but looks like i have to wait till monday
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3054
    Where'd you order from, @DesVegas and/or @MattFGBI ?

R.
    Thanks - he seems to be out of them right now but have emailed asking if he's getting any more in.

R.
    edited April 2015
    I received the pedal today and only had chance to have 5 minutes on it at lunchtime but it sounds good so far .. it did seem to add some noise to the effect line but i'll test this for sure when i get home..  i liked what i heard and the middle selector switch (tight) seemed the best one, but as i say a full test will hopefully go ahead tonight.
    I played the Rowin with the band last night and it was excellent, real nice and boomy .. I do not need another distortion pedal now (i just hope it continues to work!).

I'm looking forward to reworking my pedal board to see where in the chain it will go .. well recommended OP. £26!!!!!
    Excellent! 

contactemea@fender.com 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @robinbowes one has just popped up on ebay
    DesVegas said:
    @robinbowes one has just popped up on ebay