Robin Thicke

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    hugbot said:

Micheal Jackson could have covered I Can't Go For That instead of writing Billie Jean, but then he wouldnt have writen Billie Jean.
    Good point.  I'm not familiar with the Marvin Gaye song in question or whatever Thicke and Williams recorded so maybe I should be quiet now.  But Drew_fx, what's that?!

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528

hugbot said:

Micheal Jackson could have covered I Can't Go For That instead of writing Billie Jean, but then he wouldnt have writen Billie Jean.
    Good point.  I'm not familiar with the Marvin Gaye song in question or whatever Thicke and Williams recorded so maybe I should be quiet now.  But Drew_fx, what's that?!
    Theyre the ones i linked in the OP
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Some sound advice from someone with an opinion worth listening to ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72677
    edited March 2015
    There's nothing to say you can't take inspiration from a previous song, or even rework it overtly - as long as you get permission and give credit. The original writer is then listed as a co-writer. There are plenty of examples, including the recent Sam Smith song which is now co-credited to Tom Petty and Jeff Lynne. It doesn't stifle creativity, it simply means people shouldn't take full credit for something they didn't entirely write, and if they try then they should expect to get sued.

If Williams and Thicke had just given Gaye a co-writer credit in the first place, it wouldn't even have gone to court - although I'm sure the lawyers would still have wanted to argue about the exact split of royalties.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• duotoneduotone Frets: 995
    Fretwired said:
    Some sound advice from someone with an opinion worth listening to ..

Superb bit of footage!

• martmart Frets: 5205
    Always felt bit's of echos and phantom of the opera were rather close too.. da da da da dah.......
    You're not the only one to see similarities there. I recall Q magazine mentioning this in an interview with Roger Waters back in the late '80s. But they had to publish a grovelling apology the next issue after Lloyd-Webber had pointed out that the PotO music was written (and published) first. :)
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11994
    mart said:
    Always felt bit's of echos and phantom of the opera were rather close too.. da da da da dah.......
    You're not the only one to see similarities there. I recall Q magazine mentioning this in an interview with Roger Waters back in the late '80s. But they had to publish a grovelling apology the next issue after Lloyd-Webber had pointed out that the PotO music was written (and published) first. :)
    which bit of which tracks are similar?
  • Just this morning, Nick Mcabe posted on facebook that 'it wouldve been nice for the sleaford mods to at least ask before sampling the verve for there newest single'......  
  • mart said:
    which bit of which tracks are similar?
    The chromatic run down...have a listen back to Echoes, you'll know the bit I mean when you hear it ;)

• Just this morning, Nick Mcabe posted on facebook that 'it wouldve been nice for the sleaford mods to at least ask before sampling the verve for there newest single'......  
    I love Nick but you would have thought after the embarrassing court case surrounding Bittersweet Symphony he'd probably have kept quiet on the issue or 'borrowing' samples.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited March 2015

It always been nice to see how big a fans of Floyd the May & Taylor are as clearly displayed at 2:48 in The Fletcher Memorial -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=7LqTGiIr-1o#t=168

*cough*  0:58

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ZsSJWcovqlQ#t=55

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.