Squire Jazz or Squire Precision?

What's Hot
JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
So, moving away from guitars a bit, Im noticing I dont have a bass. So, I was wondering what would suit my needs better, a Jazz or a Precision. If I am going to do anything, it'll be rock/metal/pop stuff (ie Metal/Rock originals or Rock/pop covers). I do love the look of a natural finish Jazz but would it cover all those bases.. (basses?) 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I find a Jazz to be fine for a bit of everything. It comes down to making the knobs (Ooo-err) work for you. The wiring makes rolling back either the neck or the bass volume a big tone changer. Both up full tilt and you end up with a bit of a tone suck I guess, for lack of a better term. The difference made by rolling back one of the pick-ups is huge.

I also stuck a series/parallel switch on it for a 4th tone, of full on bass tone! So if you're handy with a soldering iron and have a spare push/pull knocking about, it's a fairly easy mod to do.

Precisions are great one tone bandits though. They have a bit more whomp to them and throwing some flatwounds on them gives a classic tone.

Best thing to do is to get out and try a few. And it all else fails, get a PJ!
    Some more about me, my music and my record label: https://www.linkedin.com/pub/luke-crook/22/18/537

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1265
    Maybe one of these (in the middle)   .....

It's a Squier 'Precision' (so it says on the headstock) but it has a Jazz Bass neck and an extra Jazz pickup in the bridge position.

I wanted a Jazz Bass for the slim neck but found this second hand at the old Bass Centre about 7-8 years ago. The extra pickup gives a bit more flexibility over a standard Precision.

This one is an Indonesian made 'Standard Series'. I'm not sure if they still make an equivalent?
  • They still do yeah. They sometimes go by the name of a PJ, other times a Jazz/Precision 'deluxe' or 'special'.

Here's the currently entry level Squier:

Some more about me, my music and my record label: https://www.linkedin.com/pub/luke-crook/22/18/537

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    I own a Squier Jazz VM and its a stonking thing. Plays great, sounds lovely.Love the neck (quite narrow though)
    But I have to admit a bass kinda just sounds like bass to me whatever it is. (apologies bassists)

Well worth a try if you can get to a PMT or whatever is your nearest guitar shop

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Precision for me all the way. Although I find some P-bass necks a bit of a handful - certainly the one from my 1976 Precision was a HUGE slab of wood and so it now wears the neck from a Mex Jazz bass (that and I was offered a lot of money and the J-bass neck by a mate on a deal).
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • danbandanban Frets: 343
    P bass every time!
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 557
    I recently tried some squire basses, I found that I preferred the Jazz neck. I found a black bodied Squire p bass with a jazz neck, sounds and plays great for the money.

• RoxRox Frets: 2147
    I had a 1970's Precision Copy (it really was pretty much dead on, not a cheapo Columbus or such) which was awesome.  I should never have sold it.  When I got my hands on a Fender Jazz Bass, I couldn't get on with it at all.  :(

So try them both first because they're very different.  I really want a black/black P bass.
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    I had a jazz bass for a while and the neck was great but I wanted a baritone which I then sold. I think a bass is generally what I need but not sure if I should go for another jazz. Nothing wrong with what I had, just wanted cash lol
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10379
    tFB Trader
    I find Jazz bases suit me comfort wise ... but I prefer the big sonic 'push' of a P Bass so in an ideal world I'd have a PJ hybrid. You either love or loathe the super slim J bass neck ... I adore it.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• 5redlights5redlights Frets: 317
    edited March 2015
    Have a look at the Squier jag basses too. They have P/J basses with jazz profile necks, so something a bit different looking. 

For metal, you'd probably be looking more towards a Jazz bass, but some notable metal P bass bands would be Deftones, Soundgarden (if they really count as metal), Iron Maiden, to name a few.

For me however, I'd go P bass everytime. There's just nothing like the sound of a good P bass. If you are looking for a good cheap P bass, try the Squier VM P bass, the white one with a black pickguard. It's superb. 
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 557
    edited March 2015

I have an Eva Gardner Squire P Bass, it's a ladies bass for us ladies only!

http://i768.photobucket.com/albums/xx321/ROOG1/Eva_Gardner_2013_zpskchbihdu.jpg

• stickersticker Frets: 869
    edited March 2015

I played went from guitar to Bass in my functions band for a few years , started off with the VM Jazz that @meltedbuzzbox now has and he's right they play great and sound good too ...

but within a few months of dealing with the "lower end " exclusively you start hankering after a P Bass , hanging out at Basschat.co.uk and before you know it you've bought a P Bass , A Violin Bass ,  A 5 string , A fretless , An Acoustic Bass and an Electric Upright and 2 Bass rigs ... or at least that's what happened to me :)

2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    edited March 2015
    I had a Reggie Hamilton jazz which has the two different pups. Very nice but these days I just play a jazz bass.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7417
    A J is very versatile.

But a P with flats is just a stunning sound and very satisfying to play. Fewer knob-based distractions too
    Red ones are better. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26987
    I also stuck a series/parallel switch on it for a 4th tone, of full on bass tone! So if you're handy with a soldering iron and have a spare push/pull knocking about, it's a fairly easy mod to do.
    Wisdom! I have the series/para on my Jazz and it's a brilliant noise. Gets you close to the P thing without having to have the hilarious neck, and still allows you all the proper jazz tones as well. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • i use a squier vm jazz. nice feel and weight. the strings sould nice clunking off the maple fingerboard too