Camel: In from the cold DVD

Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
Saw the first part this evening. Highly creditable rendition of The Snow Goose. Although I confess to be biased towards the original version, this was an enjoyable performance. I couldn't help thinking that every time Mr Latimer wishes to substitute for Mr Bardens on keys, he usually needs at least two players to do what Mr Bardens used to do on his own. The exception was when he hired Tom Brislin, who made a superb job of being a surrogate Pete Bardens. Anyway, Messrs Guy LeBlanc and Jason Hart gave good account of themselves. I look forward to seeing the second set soon. When I first saw Camel, it was on the Snow Goose tour. As soon as I could after that gig, I went to the record shop and cleaned out the Camel dept. The Snow Goose has been on my turntable more times than any other record ever since ...
"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72675
    Ah... I was hoping this was going to be something about Stationary Traveller. My mistake.

While I quite like The Snow Goose (both versions), Stationary Traveller will probably always be my favourite Camel album - it was a part of my teenage years, and I don't think any record has ever captured the atmosphere of the later Cold War quite as well. I'd love to hear a reworking/updating of it in the same manner as The Snow Goose.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    I think there are some ST extracts on set two - which I haven't watched yet.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Ton Scherpenzeel is an excellent keyboard player - saw him with Kayak a few times. Must check the DVD out. Saw Camel a few times in the 70s when they played on the Poly circuit. Sad to hear about Peter .. I have one of his solo albums which I still listen to regularly.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Phil_aka_Pip said: I think there are some ST extracts on set two - which I haven't watched yet.
    I have now, and I was wrong - there are no ST extracts on set two. However the performances of other stuff are very good. Natch, some of the older stuff grabs me most: the guitar solo on
    Never let go was exquisite, and the treatment of Lady Fantasy was also superb.

I saw them with in Cambridge doing this stuff. Anyone with the opportunity should go see Camel :):)