Is anyone going to see Joe Bonnamassa?

What's Hot
xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
Just thinking aloud, but...

I keep hearing his gigs advertised on the radio (Talksport when I have it on for commentaries)and LBC during the day.

Do you think they're having trouble shifting tickets? I recall hearing albums advertised on talk radio but very rarely gigs.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24851
    I'd rather have third-degree burns....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2420
    I might go to see him just to give him evils.
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    He's taking the Pi$$ these days with the ticket prices and I think it's putting a lot of proper fans off. I've seen him 5 times live now in the last 3-4 years and prices have gone from £25 the first time to £150+ for the recent gigs.  I also now find his shows a bit boring, the last one I saw in Leeds was quite dull. 
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    edited March 2015
    £100+ for a gig is extracting the urine.

If it's pricey enough to make people think twice then no wonder they're having to push it hard via radio ads.

"The Guitar Event of the Year" it's billed as.

Arf.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    I wouldn't think he would have problems shifting tickets.  I always assumed most of his fans were dentist / solicitor / doctor types with plenty of cash and who enjoy "heavy blues rock" music.  I bet loads of TGP'ers will be there.
  • I wouldn't think he would have problems shifting tickets.  I always assumed most of his fans were dentist / solicitor / doctor types with plenty of cash and who enjoy "heavy blues rock" music.  I bet loads of TGP'ers will be there.

When I went to see him, Syd Little was in the audience.

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    I wouldn't think he would have problems shifting tickets.  I always assumed most of his fans were dentist / solicitor / doctor types with plenty of cash and who enjoy "heavy blues rock" music.  I bet loads of TGP'ers will be there.

lol that's weird.  Did he do any jokes to get the crowd riled up a bit?
  • I wouldn't think he would have problems shifting tickets.  I always assumed most of his fans were dentist / solicitor / doctor types with plenty of cash and who enjoy "heavy blues rock" music.  I bet loads of TGP'ers will be there.

lol that's weird.  Did he do any jokes to get the crowd riled up a bit?

haha nope, but he did make me think to myself "Is THIS my peer group?!" :)

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TinLipTinLip Frets: 368
    I'm going - got a free ticket so who am I to look a gift horse in the mouth?

I'll be the only one wearing the leather biker jacket that has actually been used as such.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11641
    tFB Trader
    High ticket prices will be putting people off perhaps

However I really don't understand the anti Joe Bonnamassa sentiments...or the same sentiments for Nickelback.
    Nobody has been able to explain it to me in terms that make any sense.

The "Oh he's popular with Doctors and Dentists and other people who drive nice cars and play golf" doesn't cut it as an explanation.
    I'd like to hear why these two artists are so reviled in a way that can help me understand why.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

I believe Nickelback are the ones about whom someone started a fundraising campaign to pay them not to come to London.

What a waste of time. If people don't like something just turn it off. No need to waste energy on bleating about it.

I still think that the tag line about 'guitar event of the year' is hyperbole, but if people want to spend their money on it that's up to them.

It's just the heavy rotation of the ad since before Xmas that got me thinking.

Interestingly I've just heard it again on the radio, and it says something like 'give someone the gift of music and buy a ticket,' which is something else that sounds a bit odd to me, but there you go....

• Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    FelineGuitars;558337" said:

However I really don't understand the anti Joe Bonnamassa sentiments...or the same sentiments for Nickelback.Nobody has been able to explain it to me in terms that make any sense
    @FelineGuitars
    Some people get the dubious tag of being fashionable to dislike and I think they fall into that category.
    I'm not a massive fan of either but there are some Nickelback songs I quite happily sing out in the car, How You Remind Me being one. The front man having Spaniel hair probably doesn't help and they take the hate pretty well.

Joe Bonamassa I genuinely haven't heard much if him other than what comes on Planet Rock and most of it does nothing for me.

I'd quite happily swap places with either, especially Nickelback bloke as I'm not quite old enough to be Avril Lavignes dad
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToonToon Frets: 57
    I drove past the Hammersmith Apollo tonight about 7 o clock....a few folks milling around but at £75-£120 a ticket they were probably touts. No chance.
    I've seen him 8 times but never in last 3 years since he went stellar. First time : Cheese & Grain, Frome and £12 a ticket.
    Average US venue tickets about $60. Rip off Britain.
    No the wonder he has 5 Bursts! Must be saving for his 6th.

I am not young enough to know everything

@Toon

Didn't know it was tonight. 

A pal of mine had a similar experience. He saw him play a while ago now for a tenner or so in somewhere like Carshalton. 
  • ToonToon Frets: 57
    Yeah tonight is the first of 4 gigs this week. Not quite Clapton esque 12 nights at RAH but that's probably what his arrogance is attempting to emulate.

I am not young enough to know everything

• cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2568
    edited March 2015
    I'm going to see him on Friday. I last saw Bonamassa play at Sutton Football Club years ago, he was great. I like his music and his playing. If people don't like him then it's of no concern to me, there's plenty of artists mentioned on this forum I don't like too.

cruxiform;562119" said:
    I'm going to see him on Friday. I last saw Bonamassa play at Sutton Football Club years ago, he was great. I like his music and his playing. If people don't like him then it's of no concern to me, there's plenty of artists mentioned on this forum I don't like too.
    And I hope you have a good time.

Like all popular performers he divides opinion somewhat, though I suspect him being a guitarist means those opinions are more strongly expressed.

Either way I explained why I posted this in the first place. With that in mind if you don't mind doing me a favour you could give me an idea of how well attended it is, just to satisfy my curiosity.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12439
    I think he sees himself, and is marketed as, the New Clapton (and I suppose he does appeal to a similar audience) so his management probably just price the tickets accordingly. I saw him at Shepherds a Bush a few years back, tickets were about £20 I think. Frankly I wouldn't pay much more to see him again. He's ok, just very derivative IMO, a bit of a chameleon style-wise.
    edited March 2015
    The New Clapton? I thought that was meant to be John Mayer?! ;)

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12439
    John Mayer is very different animal to Clapton IMO.. For a start he wears about three different hats: SRV/Hendrix styled blues, folksy Americana, angsty teenage girl idol. Joe is much more simple old school blues rock, so he's more akin Clapton. I agree JB brings nothing new to the table, which was kind of the point I was making in my first post.