One for the shoegazers...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22252
    For proper Loveless tones it should be a fuzz/shredmaster/HM2 circuit into a multi tap delay into a reverse reverb with an expression pedal to control a down pitch whammy effect in front - abd possibly a Boss GE7 circuit somewhere too. I'd buy one of those.
    Nope. Distortion after any multi-tap/reverse action. If you grab something like the Yamaha SPX50D and screw around with the distortion on that unit, you'll hear why. 
    hugbot said:
    It wouldnt irritate me so much if he'd even just called it the "Loveshoe" or something and colored it pink, but that graphic is a bit audacious.

They should have had a pedal graphic based on Loveless and 'mbv' then given the pedal the title 'The 16 Year Wait That Wasn't Worth It'. 

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 915
    Heartfeltdawn;558087" said:
    Johnnyseven said:

For proper Loveless tones it should be a fuzz/shredmaster/HM2 circuit into a multi tap delay into a reverse reverb with an expression pedal to control a down pitch whammy effect in front - abd possibly a Boss GE7 circuit somewhere too. I'd buy one of those.

Nope. Distortion after any multi-tap/reverse action. If you grab something like the Yamaha SPX50D and screw around with the distortion on that unit, you'll hear why. 
    I've used standalone dirt into reverse/multi tap delay with great results. As far as I know Kevin Shields doesn't use the dirt in his Yamaha SPX90's, hence all the dirt pedals on his board - plus I don't think the guts of a Yamaha SPX90 would fit into into a stomp box. This was only a sound-a-like suggestion that might fit in a stompbox anyway, not meant to be my suggestion for an exact recreation of his sound.

My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22252
    I've used standalone dirt into reverse/multi tap delay with great results. As far as I know Kevin Shields doesn't use the dirt in his Yamaha SPX90's, hence all the dirt pedals on his board - plus I don't think the guts of a Yamaha SPX90 would fit into into a stomp box. This was only a sound-a-like suggestion that might fit in a stompbox anyway, not meant to be my suggestion for an exact recreation of his sound.

A 1992 Guitar World interview on the Wiki page for Only Shallow mentions the onboard distortion. It does sound odd but once you do kick in the onboard distortion, it just sounds right. It's not amp-type distortion, it just sounds crap in the right way :D Why distortion after multi-tap? Because it smears the delay sounds. Try it with an SMMH, move the distortion before and after, and you can hear the difference. With distortion before the multi-tap sounds are just a bit too clean and obvious. Distortion after is more smeary and works. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 915
    Good KS knowledge, have a wisdom!
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Has anyone bought one of these yet, hated it and feel that they must now donate it to me?
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    Now, this looks better

Stop crying, start buying
    1reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • That's the ticket
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4610
    Is that Porl from The Cure?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 897
    I really like the sound of that Keeley.

I will have a go at creating that kind of sound with what I have tomorrow...
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • I'd like to hear the Soft Focus setting. On the bedroom floor right now lie an SPX90, GEP50, and FX500. Much fun is going on when I'm not working trying to recreate these sounds using plugins. It's actually quite hard because partly the limitations of those rack units versus modern software and converters contributes to their sound. Take the Soft Focus patch: it's a 3.4 second reverb into parallel delays of 250 and 380 ms respectively. It's quite a shit reverb but it's not all wet as Keeley suggests his patch on the Loomer is. 

Very very nice sound. 

• Gadget said:
    I really like the sound of that Keeley.

I will have a go at creating that kind of sound with what I have tomorrow...
    I'll have a go next week on my days off :)

• Looking forward to watching this vid. Expect to want one, only to realise it does nothing that I can't do with my board already. Surprised the Eventide Space doesn't get mentioned more in the "how-to-do-MBV" convos - the reverse verb algorithm/ patches are incredible when you scratch beneath the surface. 
  • Looking forward to watching this vid. Expect to want one, only to realise it does nothing that I can't do with my board already. Surprised the Eventide Space doesn't get mentioned more in the "how-to-do-MBV" convos - the reverse verb algorithm/ patches are incredible when you scratch beneath the surface. 
    I need to pick up a Timefactor to see if it can do the inverse multi tap stuff the SPX90 and Midiverb do. The Space is awesome for reverse reverb but it sounds a bit too good. The Yamaha GEP50 I picked up for peanuts the other day is so limited and basic compared to the Space. It's not even 44.1khz, the sampling frequency is 31.25khz but it just sounds so right. It's lovely shitty slightly noisy fun. 

• I must admit to being tempted by an old SPX90 myself. 
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    Annoyingly, I passed on a Magicstomp for £50 last week

Kicking myself
    Stop crying, start buying
  • @GavRichList I'm trying to build up a collection. The GEP50 and SPX90 are both 31.25khz sampling frequency, SPX is a bit quieter. Yamaha FX500 has the same reverse settings as the SPX, 16 bit as well, sample frequency of 44.1khz, and I think is the only Yamaha unit to offer up the Soft Focus setting (although I haven't tried the GEP yet to see if I can get Soft Focus in that). The SPX900 is a bit quieter, SPX990 is better resolution but sounds a lot colder and more clinical. Top of the tree is the SPX2000 which still sells s/h for anything between £200 to £350, has all the classix SPX algos, but runs at 24 bit and up to 96 khz.

FX900 is the one I really want but these are really rare for some unknown reason. 

@Moss the Magicstomp has its own sound going on. It's actually 24 bit and 44.1khz sampling frequency so it's clearer and a little brighter than the SPX90, FX500, and the GEP. If you can get the editor working on your computer, it's a doddle to program. 

• GadgetGadget Frets: 897
    I shall have to reclaim my Korg A3 from the mate I leant it to. I'm sure that'll do at least some of the required grittiness.
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8014
    Watched a video.  It's genuinely a rare pedal.  Every setting sounds sh1tty.....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Keeley sounds good.

The one in the OP... Jebus Harold Christ on a shitty crutch, that looks appalling.
  • frank1985frank1985 Frets: 523
    The fuzz on the loveless sounds like wet farts.