How much do you know about Prog?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    Sadly, only Genesis and Rush.   This is mainly due to most of them not touring near my part of the world.  

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1270
    ICBM said:
    Roland said:
    Next question. How many have you seen live?
    Only Tull - and on the Crest Of A Knave tour, which was their "metal" album :). Does that excuse me?
    Unfortunately, I got put off by the 'electronic' tour before that - the Under Wraps tour, was it? The acoustic section in the middle with old songs was good, though.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7853
    I own albums by Pink Floyd, Rush, Zappa, Yes, Porcupine Tree, Jethro Tull, Genesis and Devin Townsend, and I've seen Rush and Jethro Tull (supporting Marillion) live.

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7300
    Ive seen 6 live and i wasnt even born when the 70s ones were about.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • FezFez Frets: 536
    I completely disagree with those catagories. With a few exceptions I like most prog bands.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • ElxElx Frets: 412
    what category should i be in if i know every song by every band on that list? :)
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28347
    Elx said:
    what category should i be in if i know every song by every band on that list? :)
    Pathological liars?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Roland said:
    Next question. How many have you seen live?
    Camel - starting with the Snow Goose tour and countless times since incl the most recent (snow goose rehash) tour
    Pink Floyd - Momentary Lapse of Reason tour, Wembley
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • ElxElx Frets: 412
    axisus said:
    Elx said:
    Pathological liars?
    Well it was a figure of speech, exaggeration in the service of truth :) But I failed miserably in using it properly, obviously. Seriously now, I own 90% of the albums by 90% of the bands on that list, and I listen to them on a regular basis, how does that sound? I am a big prog fan, I've been listening to it actively for 20 years, so I've had plenty of time...
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23155
    Elx said:
    axisus said:
    Elx said:
    Pathological liars?
    Well it was a figure of speech, exaggeration in the service of truth :) But I failed miserably in using it properly, obviously. Seriously now, I own 90% of the albums by 90% of the bands on that list, and I listen to them on a regular basis, how does that sound? I am a big prog fan, I've been listening to it actively for 20 years, so I've had plenty of time...
    You really are a proper prog fan!

I thought I liked prog, but I've only got albums by about 10 of those bands and I've only seen 2 of them live.  I have got other stuff which I thisnk is prog-ish though.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12434
    edited March 2015
    Seen Magma, Floyd, Camel, Caravan. I've also seen three different versions of KC over the years.

No Focus in that list? Surprised.
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Paul_C said:
    ... and I've seen ... Jethro Tull (supporting Marillion) live.
    Milton Keynes garden party? That was a seriously good day, and Tull were brilliant.

Apart from that, the only other group on the list I've seen is Floyd, at Wembley in '88. But in terms of those I've got albums by, I'm in the irremediabile category.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    boogieman said:
    Seen Magma, Floyd, Camel, Caravan. I've also seen three different versions of KC over the years.

Probably because the list compiler was not really that conversant with prog, otherwise he'd have included Colosseum, Ekseption, Kayak, Gnidrolog, Spooky Tooth, Vanilla Fudge, and a lot of other bands.   
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7853
    mart said:
    Paul_C said:
    ... and I've seen ... Jethro Tull (supporting Marillion) live.
    Milton Keynes garden party? That was a seriously good day, and Tull were brilliant.

Apart from that, the only other group on the list I've seen is Floyd, at Wembley in '88. But in terms of those I've got albums by, I'm in the irremediabile category.
    It was a great day :)

I've many stories from that one, including Gary Moore being hit by a football and having to get a lift home sliding around under a tarpaulin in the back of a pickup after getting a puncture on the way out of the car park and not having a spare (I was young and stupid ;) )
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12434
    Phil_aka_Pip;558503" said:
    boogieman said:

Probably because the list compiler was not really that conversant with prog, otherwise he'd have included Colosseum, Ekseption, Kayak, Gnidrolog, Spooky Tooth, Vanilla Fudge, and a lot of other bands.   
    Gnidrolog! Blimey, I'd forgotten about them.