Squier 51's are back....

What's Hot
NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
Why did no-one tell me?  (apologies if there is a thread and I've missed it!)

£228 at Andertons....
I was looking for Squier Cabronitas but these would be more my style.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I like that.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    I also love this...doesnt say Thailand only this time....O'Larn Signature II

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2384
    You could pick up the MIJ Fender version on thomann for not much more than that (ok so about £100 more) a while back. Price seems to have gone up, unfortunately, now they're the guts of £400 (probably even slightly more once you factor in credit card foreign currency charges etc.).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3012
    It's a good thing that they're not bringing the Sham Kamikaze sig to the UK, what with it's lefty CBS stock & reverse angle bridge pickup & vintage white paint..
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    edited October 2013
    While we're on the topic of obscure overseas-only signature Squiers, I always fancied the look of the Ehsaan Noorani Strat, especially in transparent green like in Tony Bacon's Squier book.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    I have no idea who O-Larn or Sham Kamikaze are, but I like their Strats a lot.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12026
    I got the Japanese 51 for about £350, they are £395 now from Thomann, but this really is a £650-£750 guitar, with a lovely neck - plays better than most USA Fender stuff. I would strongly recommend it
  • horsehorse Frets: 1589
    I hadn't realised thomann did MIJ fender. Pretty pricey though other than the 51.
  • I have a pawn shop 51 and it is an absolutely lovely instrument. The neck is worth the price of admission alone. The going rate used is about £300-£325 or maybe even less, so if I was after a spare I'd probably just buy another rather than the squier...
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    Dave_Mc said:
    You could pick up the MIJ Fender version on thomann for not much more than that (ok so about £100 more) a while back. Price seems to have gone up, unfortunately, now they're the guts of £400 (probably even slightly more once you factor in credit card foreign currency charges etc.).
    Still got 'em for £350 at GAK as long as you can live with black...
  • the Squire range is killing me,big big GAS !
    want a bigsby cabronita ,a telemaster type build and always wanted a 51! doh :-)
  • NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    I have 4 or 5 Squiers I now NEED rather than WANT lol. Finest guitar brand on the planet. IMO of course.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2384
    edited October 2013
    IanSavage said:
    Dave_Mc said:
    Still got 'em for £350 at GAK as long as you can live with black...
    Good spot :) EDIT: It says "please phone" next to delivery, that sometimes means it's not in stock.
  • I think it's slightly a shame that they didn't have a look through the squier 51 modders forum before reissuing them.
    I like my original squier 51 but I agree with a lot of the modders that it should have a tone control and mini toggle to switch pickups and not a rotary pickup selector.

Hmm, black pawn shop 51s In GAK for 350 eh? I'm sure the missus wouldn't notice if my black squier 51 magically turned into a black fender 51 :)
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10859
    tFB Trader
    Missed picking up an original squire 51 when they were going silly cheap. They always were a cracking good idea. I think they usually sound better with something more PAF like in the chuff end mind.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12457
    Guitarist mag did an article on a neck swap for a Squier 51 once, they put a baritone conversion neck in. Looked cool as fcuk. Always fancied having a go self.
  • dchwhitedchwhite Frets: 182
    I like the 51 modding articles at spacklehoss.com.
    Stonevibe: 'The best things in life aren't things'.

Trading feedback: Previous (+18) and Current

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3012
    Missed picking up an original squire 51 when they were going silly cheap. They always were a cracking good idea. I think they usually sound better with something more PAF like in the chuff end mind.

if ever there was a guitar crying out for a Brassknuckle in they bridge position it's one of those !
  • TheGuitarWeasel;54574" said:
    Man, likewise. Weren't they about £100? A mate of mine has one and he still uses it all the time as his "go to, do anything" guitar. Still, I love my pawn shop one. £280 used and worth double that.

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10859
    edited October 2013 tFB Trader
    The buggers were £99.95 ... to get us all hooked I wouldn't doubt :)

If I ever manage to get around to picking one up my pickup idea would indeed be a BrassKnuckle in the butt end ... and a high output tapped Strat in the neck.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message